A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Since 2007, MS Word's default extension is .docx. Which version do you have?
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I'm just after some advice please. I am an academic editor and use Word 2016 professionally. I use track changes for every document. However, I have found that in many cases - probably 75% - I will be working on a document and the cursor will suddenly jump to the last page. This is incredibly annoying. I have discovered that this doesn't happen when I set it to 'view all markup', but I can't edit very easily when I can see all the changes so this is not an appropriate solution. Please note this is NOT the same issue that other users have had with the cursor jumping to the end after pressing 'enter' - that can be fixed in Page Setup and is not the same problem I am experiencing.
Another issue which may or may not be related is that the 'save as' box will also randomly pop up. I am definitely not accidentally pressing the shortcut as it happens when I'm typing or just when moving the cursor along the text using the arrow keys.
This has been happening for around a year now and at first I thought it was a bug that would be patched in later updates, but this hasn't happened. I have repaired the program with no success. Any advice would be most appreciated!
A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Since 2007, MS Word's default extension is .docx. Which version do you have?
I had the same problem but only with certain Word files. I finally figured out what worked for me, and just wanted to share.
A lot of work I do, I just need to update an old file. I found that the spacebar would randomly make my cursor jump to the end of the document, and then if I hit it again, it took me back to where I was working. SUPER annoying. Anyway...a lot of the files I was using were save with the .doc extension. Once I saved them as .docx files, the problem stopped.
I don't know if that'll help or not, but it sure solved my problem!
Hi Lola1980,
Thank you for your quick response and we appreciate linking the video here on thread.
Sorry for the late reply. No need to worry, if you have not used YouTube as way to show the video because that is totally fine. We saw that the issue is existing and this might be caused by an update of Office or we need to enhance the device, we need to check. We had tried to replicate the issue in our end however it was not behaving the same as what you have recorded.
To further assist you we will provide you troubleshooting that may help your issue, please confirm if it works or not. Kindly reply to this thread.
Method 1:
Kindly open the document on WordPad Application and make a revision. Check if the same issue will persist. Launch WordPad and select File > Open and look for a document with the issue. Try to edit or modify.
Method 2: Revert Office Version. This is make sure that the documents opened can be edited with the previous Office update.
Launch Word Application, select File tab. Kindly select Account, after select Update Options and Select Disable Updates.
Launch CMD as Administrator, type in the following:
"C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\officec2rclient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.xxxx.yyyy
NOTE: The xxxx.yyyy is a the build number of update of Office. You may choose here: Update history for Office 2016 C2R and Office 2019 or on the yellow highlight below.
We would like to know more about the Office Word you are using, please provide answer to questions below:
Are you using mouse/trackpad?
Did you install or use add-in/s in Microsoft Word?
May we ask, how was the file shared to you (through email using webmail/Outlook app, OneDrive/SharePoint with the Personal/University access, by downloading file from a website/webmail, by flashdrive or harddrive)?
We look forward for your response.
Sincerely,
Kathy A.
Consumer M365 Forum Moderator
Microsoft Community
I watched the video. Clicking the link is enough.
I couldn't upload to youTube so in have added a OneDrive link. Is that acceptable?
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmysEmPoWysKgYESBEy1e4N5avYNPA?e=ujaQhZ
Here you can see the page number I was on, then the error occurring that takes me to the last page. I then show how changing from 'no markup' to 'all markup' prevents the error from occurring. Please let me know if you have been able to access the video.
thanks!