Word randomly jumping to end of document and also opening 'save as' (Word for Windows)

Anonymous
2021-07-22T08:40:50+00:00

I'm just after some advice please. I am an academic editor and use Word 2016 professionally. I use track changes for every document. However, I have found that in many cases - probably 75% - I will be working on a document and the cursor will suddenly jump to the last page. This is incredibly annoying. I have discovered that this doesn't happen when I set it to 'view all markup', but I can't edit very easily when I can see all the changes so this is not an appropriate solution. Please note this is NOT the same issue that other users have had with the cursor jumping to the end after pressing 'enter' - that can be fixed in Page Setup and is not the same problem I am experiencing.

Another issue which may or may not be related is that the 'save as' box will also randomly pop up. I am definitely not accidentally pressing the shortcut as it happens when I'm typing or just when moving the cursor along the text using the arrow keys.

This has been happening for around a year now and at first I thought it was a bug that would be patched in later updates, but this hasn't happened. I have repaired the program with no success. Any advice would be most appreciated!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2022-01-02T14:28:04+00:00

    I am experiencing the same problem regarding the cursor jumping to the end of the document when using the delete or backspace key. My computer is fine as is my mouse - this is a software glitch. Microsoft please advise.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-12-17T20:26:39+00:00

    I'm relieved to hear at least that I'm not losing my mind! I am a freelance editor and have been having the exact same infuriating problem. I have to un-do my last edit to get back to where I was, then switch to 'all mark-up' view, where it doesn't happen. It's as if MS is forcing us to edit only in all mark-up view! It happens at random places, but I think always at the end of a para, and on most of the manuscripts on which I've worked, at least for a while now (it's hard to gauge when it started because at first I thought I was doing something to cause it, so didn't keep track).

    But it just happened yet again, and it's on my last nerve, so I came looking for a solution. It's incredibly annoying and time-consuming, and throws me off every time, and I need to know how to fix it!

    I have a laptop that's about 4 months old, Windows 10 Home and Office 2019.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-11-07T06:57:06+00:00

    Pressing SHIFT, CTRL, etc. is the common theme of this problem.

    Apply these solutions step by step. They may save you from the problem.

    They worked in my case. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/troubleshoot/word/issues-when-start-or-use-word

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-11-06T13:33:29+00:00

    I'm having the same issue with a document, since yesterday. I didn't have it before. I've been working on this document for a few years now, without a problem. What did change though, since the day before yesterday, is that I inserted a few jpg-files into the document, some from file, some from the snipping tool. Because of that, the size of the file went up from about 1 MB to 5 MB. Since then, Word seems to jump to the end of the 140-page document without reason, but it almost always happens when using either Control, Shift, End or a combination of them with one of the arrows. Very annoying indeed.

    EDIT 1: I just started typing in the document, after putting the cursor in the right plays with the arrows, and Word jumped to the end of the document. Second try, this time with the mouse, same issue.

    EDIT 2: I hadn't mentioned that I was working on the document at 70% (or so) view, which equals 2 full or 4 partial pages visible on a 28inch monitor. Since I switched to 120%, only part of 1 or 2 pages visible, the issue seems to have stopped. This was not the way I wanted to work though, so the actual problem is still there and IMHO needs solving. I'll let you know if the problem reoccurs in 120% view.

    EDIT 3: It still happens, but notably less.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments