Word randomly jumping to end of document and also opening 'save as' (Word for Windows)

Anonymous
2021-07-22T08:40:50+00:00

I'm just after some advice please. I am an academic editor and use Word 2016 professionally. I use track changes for every document. However, I have found that in many cases - probably 75% - I will be working on a document and the cursor will suddenly jump to the last page. This is incredibly annoying. I have discovered that this doesn't happen when I set it to 'view all markup', but I can't edit very easily when I can see all the changes so this is not an appropriate solution. Please note this is NOT the same issue that other users have had with the cursor jumping to the end after pressing 'enter' - that can be fixed in Page Setup and is not the same problem I am experiencing.

Another issue which may or may not be related is that the 'save as' box will also randomly pop up. I am definitely not accidentally pressing the shortcut as it happens when I'm typing or just when moving the cursor along the text using the arrow keys.

This has been happening for around a year now and at first I thought it was a bug that would be patched in later updates, but this hasn't happened. I have repaired the program with no success. Any advice would be most appreciated!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-02-02T17:23:57+00:00

    Also, for all of us frustrated editors out there, I'll mention that today I tried going to the Tracking pane and making sure the only items checked are Comments and Insertions and Deletions. I was able to edit for nearly an hours without the cursor jumping, which might be a new record.

    There seems to be a display problem that might/might not be associated, with lines repeating in the display sometimes when the cursor is returned to its proper position.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-02-02T17:22:08+00:00

    Here's what I submitted today: When I edit documents for other people, the cursor randomly jumps to the end of the document. The only way I've found to get it to stay in its proper spot is to switch from Print to Draft view, but then the comments switch to the reviewing pane, and that's not a viable option when you're editing a document that's 300 - 400 pages. This happens with documents sent to me by different people, and it happens even if I copy/paste the document into a blank document, as an MS tech person advised in a chat (I've wasted hours in calls/chats trying to fix this, and the advice I'm given NEVER works). Forum threads show that this is a common problem among editors like me, and we are some of your most devoted clients because of the work we do, so PLEASE pay attention to this glitch and fix it. I know it's hard because it occurs randomly, but there must be some reason it happens.

    Maybe if everyone in this thread submits something similar, we can get some results???

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2022-02-02T17:09:42+00:00

    Report the issue to Microsoft, if you haven't already done so (see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/how-do-i-give-feedback-on-microsoft-office-2b102d44-b43f-4dd2-9ff4-23cf144cfb11). Normally, you won't receive any feedback when you send an error report.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-02-02T17:01:22+00:00

    It feels as if we're screaming into a black hole. Based on the posts, this seems to have been a problem for at least 8 months now (prob much longer), and MS has ignored it or offered ridiculous 'fixes' that don't solve the problem. MS, this is not a keyboard issue or something that can be fixed by closing and re-opening, copying to another doc, etc., etc. My clients send manuscripts in Word, so I'm forced to continue using it, but I suppose I'll have to transition to Google Docs.

    The corresponding (infuriating & time-wasting) problem I have is that I am RANDOMLY unable to highlight text to move, delete, comment on, etc. when in 'No Mark-up', and have to switch to 'All Mark-up' to do what I need to do, then switch back to continue. Professional editors DO NOT WORK IN ALL MARK-UP - it's much too distracting and easy to miss things.

    Is anyone listening who can fix these bugs with an update or what??

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-02-02T06:50:33+00:00

    Yep - I’m the OP and the issue hasn’t been resolved at all. This has gone on for some years now and it’s beyond infuriating. The only thing that stops it, as you say, is switching to All Markup until you’re past the problem point, then switching back. Unfortunately this is not a reasonable solution at all! I sent a screen video of the problem and never heard anything back. They really need to address this since we earn a living editing documents and Office is a paid-for application!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments