Word randomly jumping to end of document and also opening 'save as' (Word for Windows)

Anonymous
2021-07-22T08:40:50+00:00

I'm just after some advice please. I am an academic editor and use Word 2016 professionally. I use track changes for every document. However, I have found that in many cases - probably 75% - I will be working on a document and the cursor will suddenly jump to the last page. This is incredibly annoying. I have discovered that this doesn't happen when I set it to 'view all markup', but I can't edit very easily when I can see all the changes so this is not an appropriate solution. Please note this is NOT the same issue that other users have had with the cursor jumping to the end after pressing 'enter' - that can be fixed in Page Setup and is not the same problem I am experiencing.

Another issue which may or may not be related is that the 'save as' box will also randomly pop up. I am definitely not accidentally pressing the shortcut as it happens when I'm typing or just when moving the cursor along the text using the arrow keys.

This has been happening for around a year now and at first I thought it was a bug that would be patched in later updates, but this hasn't happened. I have repaired the program with no success. Any advice would be most appreciated!

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

48 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-02-02T17:01:22+00:00

    It feels as if we're screaming into a black hole. Based on the posts, this seems to have been a problem for at least 8 months now (prob much longer), and MS has ignored it or offered ridiculous 'fixes' that don't solve the problem. MS, this is not a keyboard issue or something that can be fixed by closing and re-opening, copying to another doc, etc., etc. My clients send manuscripts in Word, so I'm forced to continue using it, but I suppose I'll have to transition to Google Docs.

    The corresponding (infuriating & time-wasting) problem I have is that I am RANDOMLY unable to highlight text to move, delete, comment on, etc. when in 'No Mark-up', and have to switch to 'All Mark-up' to do what I need to do, then switch back to continue. Professional editors DO NOT WORK IN ALL MARK-UP - it's much too distracting and easy to miss things.

    Is anyone listening who can fix these bugs with an update or what??

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-02-02T06:50:33+00:00

    Yep - I’m the OP and the issue hasn’t been resolved at all. This has gone on for some years now and it’s beyond infuriating. The only thing that stops it, as you say, is switching to All Markup until you’re past the problem point, then switching back. Unfortunately this is not a reasonable solution at all! I sent a screen video of the problem and never heard anything back. They really need to address this since we earn a living editing documents and Office is a paid-for application!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-02-02T04:07:25+00:00

    I'm having the same problem; the cursor keeps jumping to the end of the document when I'm in track changes. I'm a proofreader and I'm constantly receiving new documents from the same person. This problem happens in most of them, but there have been a few that are "clean" of the issue. I've tried to understand what makes these clean documents different, but I couldn't figure out. So far, the only solution for me is close and reopen the document, but the glitch pops again few minutes later. It's frustrating and time-consuming.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-07-27T16:01:00+00:00

    Hi LeventGoktem,

    Thanks for the update! We appreciate that you shared to us the troubleshooting especially launching Word in safe mode that you have performed to get this resolve. Also for confirming you are currently having no printing issues. We would like to ask for few details, kindly answer them so we can isolate the issue further:

    1. Are you also having issues with the cursor jumping to the end of the document?
    2. Is this issue happens when editing or creating a specific kind of document (e.g., documents that may embed pictures or videos, or using the Draft or Web layout)?
    3. Based on our experience, there are (not limited to and will depend on the user) three ways to open the save as prompt in Microsoft Word. Let us know if you might have done or pressed similar keys on the keyboard. a. In an open document in Microsoft Word. Normally you can open save as prompt by selecting File tab > Save or Save as. Or select the Save button at the Quick Access Toolbar (location and arrangement depends on the user) by default can be seen at the top leftmost of the document. Image b. In an open document in Microsoft Word. Kindly long press Alt and you will notice small characters (number or letter) under each tabs on the ribbon. If you long press Alt and press by sequence not simultaneously - F (opens File tab), A (selects Save As) and O (opens Browse for the prompt) these steps depends on the user and prompts you see in Word). The prompt of save as opens (see attach screenshot). c. Press the key/s available here: File > Options > Customized Ribbon > On Keyboard shortcuts select Customize > Look for File tab on Categories > look for FileSaveAs in Commands Box > check on Current Keys (this will depend on the user or add-ins installed and was by default F12). FileSave by default had Ctrl + S, Shift + F12, and Alt+Shift+F2. Image

    We look forward to your response.

    Sincerely,

    Kathy A.

    Consumer M365 Forum Moderator

    Microsoft Community

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-07-26T07:04:16+00:00

    Copy and paste all the content to a blank, new document. It might help.
    I, too, have the "save as" problem and the only solution that worked is this.

    I even installed a keylogger to see what key presses open the save as box but

    there was none. What opens save as box is not a key press combination.
    Maybe it's a glitch in auto save feature.

    Recently, because of a Windows 10 update, millions of users experienced

    a printing problem. That caused many troubles. Maybe save as problem is similar

    to that one, a general update problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments