A family of Microsoft relational database management systems designed for ease of use.
That is indeed the correct version for Current channel. The original post was in error.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I had a client today who could not open their shared backend database. The system displayed the error “Could not lock file”.
I determined that Access was trying to open the file in exclusive mode, even though none of the normal methods to open the file exclusively were being applied:
• The File / Options / Client Settings / Advanced / Default open mode was set to Shared
• No command line /excl was being used
• The user had Full Control permissions for the shared folder containing the database
• Creating a new test database opened it exclusively, so that no other user could open it.
• The newly created test database could not be reopened if another user opened it,
• Several other users could simultaneously open the new test database without a problem.
The user had been using the database for normal operations for several days prior to the problem.
The user’s system has updated to build 16.0.14701.20248 today.
All other test users had build 16.0.14701.20226.
I rolled the user's Office installation back to 16.0.14701.20226 by using the Office Deployment Tool https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-revert-to-an-earlier-version-of-office-2bd5c457-a917-d57e-35a1-f709e3dda841
The problem was solved.
Can anyone else confirm that this problem exists with the latest build of Access?
Neil Sargent
Smart IT Ltd
A family of Microsoft relational database management systems designed for ease of use.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
That is indeed the correct version for Current channel. The original post was in error.
I have been using ClickToRun and fixed the issue by first rolling back and now updating to the fixed release.
But I believe that the culprit update was KB5002099 (Office 2016)
or KB5002104 (Office 2013)
Kind regards
Neil
Im running Access 2016 Pro Plus 16.0.5224.1000 and I still have this problem.
Do we know what KB to remove?
Tom,
Thank you for the early heads up on the release of a fix.
By the time I checked, the Current Channel was showing the fixed release as build 14701.20262
I installed this latest release on the original machine on which I detected the problem:
In my case I can confirm that the new build 14701.20262 fixes the problem.
Thanks to the MS engineers. A good response.
Kind regards
Neil
From MSFT:
New builds with the fix have started rolling out for some channels:
Current Channel: 16.13801.21092
Current Channel (Preview): 16.0.14729.20170
Semi-Annual Channel (Preview): 16.0.14326.20272
Semi-Annual Channel: 16.0.13801.21092
Semi-Annual Channel (Extended): 16.0.13127.21846
For anyone who has seen the issue on one of these channels, if you have the opportunity, please Update Now (it may not happen automatically) to get the updated version and validate that it addresses the issue.