"Could not lock file" with Access build 14701.20248

Anonymous
2021-12-14T19:16:08+00:00

I had a client today who could not open their shared backend database. The system displayed the error “Could not lock file”.

I determined that Access was trying to open the file in exclusive mode, even though none of the normal methods to open the file exclusively were being applied:

• The File / Options / Client Settings / Advanced / Default open mode was set to Shared

• No command line /excl  was being used

• The user had Full Control permissions for the shared folder containing the database

• Creating a new test database opened it exclusively, so that no other user could open it.

• The newly created test database could not be reopened if another user opened it,

• Several other users could simultaneously open the new test database without a problem.

The user had been using the database for normal operations for several days prior to the problem.

The user’s system has updated to build 16.0.14701.20248 today.

All other test users had build 16.0.14701.20226.

I rolled the user's Office installation back to 16.0.14701.20226 by using the Office Deployment Tool https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-revert-to-an-earlier-version-of-office-2bd5c457-a917-d57e-35a1-f709e3dda841 

The problem was solved.

Can anyone else confirm that this problem exists with the latest build of Access?

Neil Sargent

Smart IT Ltd

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

50 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-12-20T14:24:23+00:00

    I installed the latest version of the Semi-Annual Preview Channel (Version 2108 Build 14326.20702). According to the patch notes, this should correct the issue with shared Access databases. However, I am still getting the error when I try to open one. It should be noted that we jumped directly from November's patch to the one released on 12/16, skipping Version 2108 Build 14326.20692 altogether.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Tom van Stiphout 40,216 Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2021-12-17T13:54:43+00:00

    That is indeed the correct version for Current channel. The original post was in error.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-12-17T12:28:19+00:00

    I have been using ClickToRun and fixed the issue by first rolling back and now updating to the fixed release.

    But I believe that the culprit update was KB5002099 (Office 2016)

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/description-of-the-security-update-for-office-2016-december-14-2021-kb5002099-10670400-427f-4819-8de6-abd11e73100b

    or KB5002104 (Office 2013)

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/description-of-the-security-update-for-office-2013-december-14-2021-kb5002104-84005c4a-9bfe-4da6-bd66-240c5c468c7c

    Kind regards

    Neil

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-12-17T11:31:57+00:00

    Im running Access 2016 Pro Plus 16.0.5224.1000 and I still have this problem.

    Do we know what KB to remove?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments