A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Microsoft is aware of this problem and working on a solution.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Hyperlinks which work in Word do not work in PDF
A family of Microsoft word processing software products for creating web, email, and print documents.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Microsoft is aware of this problem and working on a solution.
I just noticed that the links are now working as before.
I'm running Version 2109 (Build 14430.20306).
I wonder if someone has the same experience.
HI and thank for the update.... there is no work around in the meantime that anybody has tried? Thanks you.
A suggested workaround in this thread is to upload the Word document to OneDrive, open it in the web browser, and then download the document as a PDF (see for example the reply by LGonzalez). This appears to preserve hyperlinks in tables of contents and other locations.
Another option is to upload the file to OneDrive and open it in Word Online and from that application, download it as a PDF file.
I've been using OneDrive to convert to PDF since this started, but OneDrive does not have Advanced Options, so I cannot increase image resolution, embed fonts, etc.
The resulting PDF through OneDrive is 1 MB, vs 4 MB for the ones I made in Word.
You don't mention which version of Acrobat you have. The only method that I know of to preserve bookmark hyperlinks and TOC hyperlinks is to use PDFMaker (included with the full version of Acrobat). PDFMaker is accessed from the Acrobat tab that appears in Word.
Acrobat's PDF Maker gives the same result - no hyperlinks in the TOC. This is related to changes in Word, not to changes in Acrobat.
I just checked Word 2010 and the problem is not present there. It would likely be only in Word 2016-2021 (365).