Read Aloud Voices in WORD (they disappeared)

Anonymous
2021-11-30T00:39:13+00:00

After upgrading my laptop to Windows 11, I tried Read Aloud in Word. To my surprise there were several voice options that were not there when I was using Windows 10. Then, after a week of using it to proofread my manuscript, I rebooted my laptop (something I do regularly to ensure updates) and the Read Aloud was ****. I tried to change back to the good voice and there were only the standard three voices (David, Zira, Mark). I worked with Microsoft support, who reinstall my Office 19 twice before finally saying there were only the three voices and I had to live with it.

Was I in some weird twilight zone for a week and not in the real world? What happened to my good Read Aloud voice? and how can I get it back?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-06-11T00:18:55+00:00

    As Jay mentioned I also have 365 and am limited to the 3 robotic voices.

    I don't use Read Aloud very often, so I didn't notice when the voices changed (again). I still have the same version/build as mentioned in my post of May 28, but the Male and Female voices are back. Clearly this depends on what is set up on Microsoft's servers, not on anything in your local Office setup, and may change without warning.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-06-11T02:32:53+00:00

    I received an email from Microsoft Customer Support this week (7 June 2022) saying Microsoft has "released the new natural sounding voices to all customers."

    This still did not work for me. The email asked that I let them know if I am not able to use them, I am not, and I indicated this to them. Haven't hear back yet.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-06-11T03:54:26+00:00

    I use Read Aloud every day and the male/female option is just terrible. It grates on my nerves! Is there anyway to request they change it back or at least give us the option to change back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-06-11T12:40:26+00:00

    Try sending requests to Microsoft Customer Feedback <feedbk@microsoft.com> rather than this answer forum. If enough users show an interest, they may put the good voices back out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-06-28T03:47:42+00:00

    My problem is similar but different. I had an upgraded version voice of the new "male female" voices. It was sudden and sporadic. Occasionally, I would get the decent "female" voice, then it would switch to a very smooth version which blew my mind. It sounded VERY human. I can't tell if the document needs to focus on a section of the writing to "polish" or whatever it needs to get the best voice, but the two switch from paragraph to paragraph and even between pauses on the same sentence without me touching ANY settings. What's going on???

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments