Read Aloud Voices in WORD (they disappeared)

Anonymous
2021-11-30T00:39:13+00:00

After upgrading my laptop to Windows 11, I tried Read Aloud in Word. To my surprise there were several voice options that were not there when I was using Windows 10. Then, after a week of using it to proofread my manuscript, I rebooted my laptop (something I do regularly to ensure updates) and the Read Aloud was ****. I tried to change back to the good voice and there were only the standard three voices (David, Zira, Mark). I worked with Microsoft support, who reinstall my Office 19 twice before finally saying there were only the three voices and I had to live with it.

Was I in some weird twilight zone for a week and not in the real world? What happened to my good Read Aloud voice? and how can I get it back?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.4K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2022-05-28T12:55:41+00:00

    The report that I saw probably applied to only Microsoft 365, but if I'm wrong, then the fact that the feature is rolling out gradually might mean that you would get it eventually.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-05-28T13:20:54+00:00

    That matches with my research on the Microsoft websites that indicates the new voices are only for the subscription service (Office 365) not the desktop Office versions. Such a shame. Follows along with my theory that Microsoft (and many other companies) are moving to an online subscription presence only. This ensures ongoing revenue while minimizing development and maintenance costs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Jay Freedman 208.3K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-05-28T15:53:12+00:00

    Fred, a few minutes ago I updated my Microsoft 365 Enterprise programs to version 2205 (build 15225.20204) Current Channel, rebooted, and then checked the Read Aloud settings. The three artificial voices are still there.

    So it isn't just you, or just non-subscription Office. I'll post here again if the better voices eventually appear.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-05-28T19:47:21+00:00

    As Jay mentioned I also have 365 and am limited to the 3 robotic voices.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-06-10T22:18:19+00:00

    All my voices are gone the only choice i have is male or female that are both annoying as crazy. what happened and how do i get it back?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments