Read Aloud Voices in WORD (they disappeared)

Anonymous
2021-11-30T00:39:13+00:00

After upgrading my laptop to Windows 11, I tried Read Aloud in Word. To my surprise there were several voice options that were not there when I was using Windows 10. Then, after a week of using it to proofread my manuscript, I rebooted my laptop (something I do regularly to ensure updates) and the Read Aloud was ****. I tried to change back to the good voice and there were only the standard three voices (David, Zira, Mark). I worked with Microsoft support, who reinstall my Office 19 twice before finally saying there were only the three voices and I had to live with it.

Was I in some weird twilight zone for a week and not in the real world? What happened to my good Read Aloud voice? and how can I get it back?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-11-30T01:44:40+00:00

    Hi

    Thank you for your question in this community, according to your description of the problem,

    I know that you have put in a lot of effort into this issue, and I am sorry for the inconvenience caused to you, let me try to help you solve this problem:

    The sound of this voice in Word may be related to the sound settings on your computer.

    The standard three voices (David, Zira, Mark) is the default US. As shown in the screenshot, other regions have different voices.

    Did you lose these voices? If so, you can try the following methods to add voice to your computer to try to solve this problem:

    If it is not correct, have you ever added a third-party plug-in on Word to get these sounds?

    And, can you provide your version information and your subscription information to help us better test this issue, because the settings of different versions may be different:

    You can provide a complete screenshot through file>accont to help us analyze, pay attention to hiding personal information!

    Once again, sorry for the inconvenience, your understanding and support are greatly appreciated!

    Best   Regards
    Ethan

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-11-30T03:56:40+00:00

    My laptop is fairly new Dell (much less than a year). I bought it with Windows 10 and Office 2019 pre-installed. I have never loaded third party voices or any software that should have affected the sound system in any way (that I am aware of). When I got the new machine, I tried Read Aloud (with the three standard voices). It was too irritating to use. When I upgraded (a week ago) to Windows 11, I got the wild notion to try Read aloud again. To my surprise, there were other choices for voices. I found both a male and female voice that were quite good (not perfect, but they sounded much closer to real speech than anything I've heard). For several days, I enjoyed using Read Aloud to help with proofreading my current manuscript. After chapter 39 (of 71) I rebooted the laptop (something I do regularly to ensure updates are installed). When I started my next round of proofreading, it hurt my ears. I assumed the reboot reset my Read Aloud voice so I went to changed it to the one I was using and could not find it. Only the three standard ones were available.

    I played with every setup feature I could think of. I search the web for a solution. I contacted Microsoft support and spent quite a bit of time as the tech reinstalled my office suite (twice). The end result was there are only three voices--the ones you mentioned above and I still have them.)

    So... where did my good voices come from and why are they not there now? And why doesn't anybody else know about them?

    One caveat on the attached screen shot. The Microsoft tech remotely reinstalled my office twice---I don't know if this destroyed anything you may have been looking for.

    I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.......

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2021-12-09T23:02:16+00:00

    So, yes a recent upgrade caused Word to lose the voices. The repeated suggestions to change the Narration settings is bunk. My narrations settings say Zira and have lots of options. But Word 365 has really bad "Male" and "Female" as the only settings. I have it all installed correctly and was correct before a recent program upgrade.

    So, without going to the Narration settings (as that won't work), any other suggestions as to how to get the voices back. I have seen many posts about this problem and the answer is always the same, one that doesn't actually work

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-12-13T21:16:15+00:00

    This has also quit working for me as well. Same scenario as listed by Kestrel2022. I had an update that ran on December 8th and when I got on my computer on December 9th I noticed the feature not working. I have repaired my version of office and still doesn't work. It appears that Word doesn't know how to select a voice it only shows male or female and doesn't list the voice name. Again this was pointed out by Kestrel2022.

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments