Read Aloud Voices in WORD (they disappeared)

Anonymous
2021-11-30T00:39:13+00:00

After upgrading my laptop to Windows 11, I tried Read Aloud in Word. To my surprise there were several voice options that were not there when I was using Windows 10. Then, after a week of using it to proofread my manuscript, I rebooted my laptop (something I do regularly to ensure updates) and the Read Aloud was ****. I tried to change back to the good voice and there were only the standard three voices (David, Zira, Mark). I worked with Microsoft support, who reinstall my Office 19 twice before finally saying there were only the three voices and I had to live with it.

Was I in some weird twilight zone for a week and not in the real world? What happened to my good Read Aloud voice? and how can I get it back?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

47 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-06-11T02:32:53+00:00

    I received an email from Microsoft Customer Support this week (7 June 2022) saying Microsoft has "released the new natural sounding voices to all customers."

    This still did not work for me. The email asked that I let them know if I am not able to use them, I am not, and I indicated this to them. Haven't hear back yet.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-06-11T00:18:55+00:00

    As Jay mentioned I also have 365 and am limited to the 3 robotic voices.

    I don't use Read Aloud very often, so I didn't notice when the voices changed (again). I still have the same version/build as mentioned in my post of May 28, but the Male and Female voices are back. Clearly this depends on what is set up on Microsoft's servers, not on anything in your local Office setup, and may change without warning.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-06-10T22:18:19+00:00

    All my voices are gone the only choice i have is male or female that are both annoying as crazy. what happened and how do i get it back?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-05-28T19:47:21+00:00

    As Jay mentioned I also have 365 and am limited to the 3 robotic voices.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Jay Freedman 208.3K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-05-28T15:53:12+00:00

    Fred, a few minutes ago I updated my Microsoft 365 Enterprise programs to version 2205 (build 15225.20204) Current Channel, rebooted, and then checked the Read Aloud settings. The three artificial voices are still there.

    So it isn't just you, or just non-subscription Office. I'll post here again if the better voices eventually appear.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments