Word templates not opening as new documents

Anonymous
2022-02-07T06:40:36+00:00

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/word-templates-not-opening-as-new-documents/36dd51b5-b434-4f2b-85be-3db9aebd45eb?page=6

The thread was closed after this last post. Registry edits were suggested. That sounds quite easy compared to dealing with the ongoing file save problem.

Would you please tell me how to manually correct the file associations in the registry?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-02-11T00:18:58+00:00

    Yes. I think the share might not be "anyone with link" in dropbox language :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2022-02-11T00:11:17+00:00

    So are you saying that when you click on the

    https://onedrive.live.com/?id=5AEDCB43615E886B%219881&cid=5AEDCB43615E886B

    link, OneDrive is saying "This item might not exist or is no longer available."

    This is what I see when I click on that link

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-02-10T21:53:45+00:00

    Sorry I meant OneDrive vs DropBox. Dragon NatSpeaking 15. It is running on all the network machines (Various versions >10 years) and was not changed around the time the issue appeared. I suppose the Word update may have conflicted with DNS somehow. Still all other machines have the same Office and Dragon installations.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2022-02-10T08:28:13+00:00

    I did NOT upload anything to Dropbox.

    I uploaded two videos to the following folder of my OneDrive

    https://onedrive.live.com/?id=5AEDCB43615E886B%219881&cid=5AEDCB43615E886B

    When you double-click on a template (dot, dotx or dotm) in the templates folder a new document is opened and the Title Bar will display Document# - Word.

    Until you use the Save facility, the document does NOT have a type (doc, docx or docm, or any of the other formats in which a Word document can be saved) When the Save facility is used, the format that will appear in the Save As dialog will be that set under File>Options>Save>Save files in this format.

    Image

    As there is nothing in the code in your template that would have caused some other result, there only way that it might have happened would be if there was an Add-in on your system, which is no longer there or is no longer functioning.

    Do, or did you have an Add-in that was loaded automatically when Word was started?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2022-02-10T07:38:58+00:00

    >>Dropbox says, "This item might not exist or is no longer available."<<

    I don't think you mentioned Dropbox before, or maybe I just missed it.

    Anyway, the fact that you are using a third-party storage location may be part of the issue. Something may have changed recently in Dropbox, or something has changed in the way that Office programs interact with Dropbox.

    When I refer to double-clicking template icons, I usually mean doing so in File Explorer, for locally saved documents.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments