Word templates not opening as new documents

Anonymous
2022-02-07T06:40:36+00:00

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/word-templates-not-opening-as-new-documents/36dd51b5-b434-4f2b-85be-3db9aebd45eb?page=6

The thread was closed after this last post. Registry edits were suggested. That sounds quite easy compared to dealing with the ongoing file save problem.

Would you please tell me how to manually correct the file associations in the registry?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

46 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Doug Robbins - MVP - Office Apps and Services 323.6K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2022-02-11T00:11:17+00:00

    So are you saying that when you click on the

    https://onedrive.live.com/?id=5AEDCB43615E886B%219881&cid=5AEDCB43615E886B

    link, OneDrive is saying "This item might not exist or is no longer available."

    This is what I see when I click on that link

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-02-10T21:53:45+00:00

    Sorry I meant OneDrive vs DropBox. Dragon NatSpeaking 15. It is running on all the network machines (Various versions >10 years) and was not changed around the time the issue appeared. I suppose the Word update may have conflicted with DNS somehow. Still all other machines have the same Office and Dragon installations.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-02-10T03:51:34+00:00

    Dropbox says, "This item might not exist or is no longer available."

    Let me ask... For years, all I had to do is click a .dotm in our templates folder. Word would open it as an unnamed .docm. So if I set the "save as" folder, opening and saving was simply click, ctrl-s, click. Literally a 5 second operation.

    Then Windows/Office update comes along, and now, I need to click-file, save-as, browse, save-as-type, save. I write reports endlessly and this has become such a pain in the neck.

    Regardless, on all desktops, the first and super-quick method still works. So 'what should happen' is what the desktop installations are doing.

    How is that anything but the laptop Office installation?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-02-09T20:59:37+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-02-09T20:46:34+00:00

    I mentioned earlier that it pulls data from an Access db and populates form fields. We've used them as is for years.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments