Cannot open any more databases error 3048

Anonymous
2022-02-03T09:53:13+00:00

Over the years I have developed several applications in Access for my personal use. In the last two days I have suddenly encountered the error message "Cannot open more databases" with each application. I have re-installed Microsoft 365 several times and compacted and repaired my databases - all to no avail. I am wondering if something has recently changed in Microsoft 365 Access to cause this problem. Whatever the cause I would appreciate any help to resolve the issue.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-02-08T11:22:03+00:00

    There are some reporting the issue has been resolved and you need to update to version 2201 build 14827.20192‬, but the official documentation does not reflect this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-02-08T22:49:21+00:00

    I do note the line

     <Updates Enabled="FALSE" />

    that made me smile

    but are you sure you want 64 bit?

    OfficeClientEdition / architecture / bitness

    For those attempting this on their own at home you may need to know a few configuration options before you dive in

    like Product ID https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office365/troubleshoot/installation/product-ids-supported-office-deployment-click-to-run?redirectSourcePath=%252fen-US%252farticle%252f77654e77-aaeb-4ed6-84eb-1d8b0e086590 and a few other settings https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/office-deployment-tool-configuration-options

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-02-08T23:40:44+00:00

    HI Daniel. Many thanks to yourself and all others contributing to efforts to resolve this. issue. I have carried out the latest update from Microsoft and all is now well. Regards. Geoff

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-02-09T06:33:39+00:00

    Daniel, and All,

    Fabulous that MS resolved this in quite good time. And thank you, Daniel, for posting about a new release.

    But it must be said that communication regarding these kind of issues must be improved.

    So Daniel, what does "There are some reporting the issue has been resolved" actually mean?

    and how was anybody supposed to know a new build, that addressed the issue, had been released?

    I'm guessing that the release of this new build was "leaked" to one or maybe a few insiders / MVPs.

    Either that or someone was constantly clicking the "update now" button until a new build showed up. Highly unlikely.

    ------ The current methodology of relying on Forums and MVPs to manage these kind of issues is far from acceptable or professional --------

    Did you get that MS? This is important,

    AND FYI - I checked my 365 Admin Message Center for any warnings, messaes or updates.

    Nothing. Nada.

    For users who even know about the "Fixes or workarounds for recent issues in Access" page,

    MS were very slow to post the issue when it was first reported and confirmed

    I'm guessing that they didn't post until they had the work around.

    But in the mean time...

    Even users who know about this page were left in the dark and wasting time trying to figure out why they were having issues.

    As a developer, I've wasted almost a full day advising clients on how to fix and/or avoid this issue.

    And even though there is, apparently, a new build released, the is still no mention of it on the Fixes and Workarounds page.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-02-09T10:25:17+00:00

    Microsoft SUCKS at communication! Always have and don't seem to want to change their ways.

    I heard about the fix from Karl Donaubauer. I never heard about it from Microsoft.

    Even if you check the official page on the subject, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/access-is-unable-to-close-and-leaves-lockfile-active-b2dce32b-b8b0-41f1-ba40-7876e524d9da , as of the writing of this reply, there is no mention of the new build or that it resolves the issue. They still have it indicating to use the TL workaround (with no instructions on how to create them, especially for runtime users!).

    All I can say, is I totally relate to everyone's frustrations. We, the MVPs, have brought the same issues up to Microsoft for years, and yet here we are, nothing ever changes. That is why I try to post such issues on my own blog as it takes Microsoft days to publish anything, which is sheer madness. The problem is I'm not being paid and I end up spending a tremendous amount of time doing so.

    I don't know anymore than you why Microsoft is so slow, unresponsive. Why even when they internally know about the issue, the support agents don't and are still advising users incorrectly. ...

    This, and many other bugs, clearly illustrates just how disconnected Microsoft is from its community and how poorly managed their fixes webpages are. It has also clearly demonstrated major internal communication and testing flaws that exist in the testing and release processes which have been ongoing for years now, with no signs of ever being fixed. Don't expect anything to change!

    Fun times we live in.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments