Cannot open any more databases error 3048

Anonymous
2022-02-03T09:53:13+00:00

Over the years I have developed several applications in Access for my personal use. In the last two days I have suddenly encountered the error message "Cannot open more databases" with each application. I have re-installed Microsoft 365 several times and compacted and repaired my databases - all to no avail. I am wondering if something has recently changed in Microsoft 365 Access to cause this problem. Whatever the cause I would appreciate any help to resolve the issue.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. George Hepworth 23,120 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-02-06T16:50:04+00:00

    Daniel's right and I really only want to reinforce the importance of what he said.

    Turning off Malware protection is not a viable solution in the overall threat climate today.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. George Hepworth 23,120 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-02-06T16:54:42+00:00

    In our recent AUG Access Pacific meeting, Juan Soto, who was our presenter for the evening, told us that very few of his clients had been hit by this particular bug because he encourages them to stay on the Semi-Annual Channel.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-02-06T23:48:59+00:00

    The rollback does look daunting.

    and typically, there are 57 different methods and they are all half baked. [exageration mine]

    For me the Office Depoyment Tool with a config.xml did not work.

    In the end I manually turned off automatic updates and now use a batch file to install the precise build I want

    C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\OfficeC2RClient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.[Build Number]

    eg

    C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\OfficeC2RClient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.13801.20266

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-02-07T07:26:54+00:00

    OK all security is back on.....thank you all for your concern.

    Tried every Rollback instructions I can find, including Microsoft's, KentGorrell's batch file, and many others I've found. None of them take.

    _______________

    My version is:

    Microsoft 365 Apps for Business

    Version 2201 (Build 14827.20158 Click-to-Run)

    Current Channel

    _______________

    I set up the Microsoft Config.xml as below:

    <Configuration>

    <Updates Enabled="TRUE" TargetVersion="16.0.14326.20738" />

    </Configuration>

    When I ran the setup.exe then click update from Excel/Account I get 'You're up to date - The latest version of Office is installed on your computer'

    It doesn't even try looking for the requested version.

    _______________

    KentGorrell's looks the more likely to work as my version is:

    This was my Batch File (Run as Administrator):

    "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\OfficeC2RClient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.14326.20738

    With this one I get: 'Checking for Updates' then 'Something went Wrong - Error Code: 30183-27 (400)'

    _______________

    Tried this Batch File (Run as Administrator) that I found from another website:

    cd "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun"

    OfficeC2RClient.exe /changesetting Channel="Semi-Annual Enterprise"

    OfficeC2RClient.exe /update USER displaylevel=true forceappshutdown=true updatepromptuser=false

    OfficeC2RClient.exe /updatetoversion=16.0.14326.20738

    With this one I get: 'You're up to date - The latest version of Office is installed on your computer'

    _______________

    I have been in registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\Configuration

    Added the UpdatetoVersion key with Value data set as 14827.20158

    With this one I also get: 'Checking for Updates' then 'Something went Wrong - Error Code: 30183-27 (400)'

    _______________

    I find it unfathomable why a simple rollback is so difficult!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-02-07T22:50:17+00:00

    "half baked", yep. frustrating isn't it.

    and I forgot to mention how useless the 365 admin center is.

    I resorted to a command prompt as admin then went to

    C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun

    when I run

    OfficeC2RClient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.13801.20266

    using my current build number I get "you're up to date". what does that mean? that build is far from up to date. What the message box should telll me is that "You currently have this build installed" or something like that.

    when I attempt to install

    OfficeC2RClient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.14326.20738

    which is the last good build that I'm aware of and the one most of my clients are now on as per this site

    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/update-history-microsoft365-apps-by-date

    takes some time checking then...

    I get Error Code: 20183-27(400)

    the 400 is standard web error suggesting a bad request

    my guess is that the build requested is not available despite the fact that it is still listed on the above site

    but MS are too lazy to provide a meaningful response.

    the recommended action is to run a fix for Office

    Fix Office update errors ("Office"? I don't have Office, I have Microsoft 365 don't I?)

    nomenclature aside...

    Tried that, still doesn't work

    at least they didn't tell me to reinstall windows then office, sorry 365.

    also tried 2111 14701.20290 with the same result

    Does anyone at MS bother to test this stuff?

    Apparently no, that's our job.

    I could try some more of the builds listed but I'd rather not wreck my own Office, sorry 365, install.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments