Cannot open any more databases error 3048

Anonymous
2022-02-03T09:53:13+00:00

Over the years I have developed several applications in Access for my personal use. In the last two days I have suddenly encountered the error message "Cannot open more databases" with each application. I have re-installed Microsoft 365 several times and compacted and repaired my databases - all to no avail. I am wondering if something has recently changed in Microsoft 365 Access to cause this problem. Whatever the cause I would appreciate any help to resolve the issue.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-02-06T06:13:52+00:00

    These settings fixed the 'Error 3048: Cannot open any more databases' bug for me:

    ACCESS SETTINGS

    Access > Options > Trust Center > Trusted Locations > Trust Center settings > Trusted locations > Access folder location(s)

    WINDOWS SETTINGS

    Settings > Windows security > Virus & threat protection > Manage settings > Real time protection > Off

    Settings > Windows security > Virus & threat protection > Manage settings > Exclusions > Add or remove exclusions > Access folder location(s)

    NB. Access > Trusted Locations is not enough to stop this bug, these Windows settings must be used as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-02-06T10:28:32+00:00

    That's simply not true Neville and that is opening yourself to a serious security hole. If that truly was required, you'd be best to rollback your build instead, but keep security running.

    Even MS indicated that all that is required is the creation of TLs, refer to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/access-is-unable-to-close-and-leaves-lockfile-active-b2dce32b-b8b0-41f1-ba40-7876e524d9da

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-02-06T11:57:40+00:00

    Great that MS finally got around to posting on this issue at - Fixes or workarounds for recent issues in Access. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/fixes-or-workarounds-for-recent-issues-in-access-54962069-14f4-4474-823a-ff7e5974a570?ui=en-us&rs=en-us&ad=us

    @NevilleWootton - thanks for you input, FYI - Recently there was an issue that arose from a MalwareBytes release that caused errors in Access code and did require changing MalwareBytes security settings. And you could say that making those changes opened up a security hole but what you gonna do? Sometimes you need to try less secure just so you can operate until you find a safer solution.

    But I do agree with Daniel, in this case a rollback is the best option. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-revert-to-an-earlier-version-of-office-2bd5c457-a917-d57e-35a1-f709e3dda841

    Only the brave would set their updates to Current Channel and Automatic in a production environment. If you are lazy then leave updates as automatic but set your channel to Bi Annual.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-02-06T14:32:11+00:00

    I saw MS's post but I already had TLs in place and my DB was still falling over when running a concatenate module in VBA.

    If you look at the bottom of MS's post there is this catch:

    **Note:**This workaround will not work if AMSI (Antimalware Scan Interface) is enabled for all documents.

    It seems AMSI is used to check VBA macros, which is where my particular probem is. And when I switched off the security on my Access folder everything worked again.

    That said, I was on my home PC at the time, now I'm in the office and those settings are not helping on our office PC! Bizarre!

    I did look at the rollback option but it just looked a bit daunting as a non programmer. I love Access but I tend to fly by the seat of my pants most of the time. I guess I'll have to give the rollback another look.

    Thanks for the feedback.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-02-06T15:34:45+00:00

    So before I tackled the rollback I thought I'll try one more thing:

    I cleared out my Trusted Locations in Access and left the Windows Security switched off. Tried the macro again and everything worked!

    So I put my Access folder back into Trusted Locations. Tried the macro again and everything still worked!

    Finally I switched the Windows Security back on. Tried the macro again and, hey presto, everything still worked!!

    The macros are running and the laccdb lock files are closing properly. What did I just do? At the end of the day, nothing, but it's fixed......for now!

    PS. Just before I was going to hit send I thought I'll just try it one more time.....it fell over!! I guess it's back to the rollback instructions!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments