Cannot open any more databases error 3048

Anonymous
2022-02-03T09:53:13+00:00

Over the years I have developed several applications in Access for my personal use. In the last two days I have suddenly encountered the error message "Cannot open more databases" with each application. I have re-installed Microsoft 365 several times and compacted and repaired my databases - all to no avail. I am wondering if something has recently changed in Microsoft 365 Access to cause this problem. Whatever the cause I would appreciate any help to resolve the issue.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-02-03T11:00:04+00:00

    Hi GeoffSeymour_246,

    Thanks for posting in the community.

    According to your description, may I know your Office version (Click File> Account)? Is it Version 2201? If so, many users have reported a similar issue in our community recently, and as a workaround, some users suggested rolling back to a previous version to fix the issue. Please view the following thread and check if it helps. Also, I would like to suggest you send feedback to Microsoft via File> Feedback> I don’t like something

    Is "Cannot open any more databases" what we can now expect from Access?

    If your version isn’t 2201, please feel free and come back to share with us.

    Regards,

    George

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-02-03T11:33:55+00:00

    Hi George. Many thanks for your very quick response which has put my mind at rest. Yes, my version is 2201 at build 14827.20158. I think it is clear from my trouble shooting that Microsoft staff have made changes in this version that have resulted in the message occurring and stopping my applications from running. I will send details to Microsoft as you suggest and encourage them to solve the issue. Regards. Geoff

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-02-03T23:29:43+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-02-04T09:05:46+00:00

    I'm guessing that there are two issues here

    1. when you close your application, Access doesn't completely close

    and as we Know, Access caches your connections

    1. when you reopen your application,, Access doesn't recognise the connection it already has to the db so it create a new one

    so it keeps creating more connnections until ...

    bang, you get this error

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-02-04T09:30:12+00:00

    Thanks, except this can also happen after a restart and on the first time of opening the database so there shouldn't be any other connections or threads open.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments