Cannot open any more databases error 3048

Anonymous
2022-02-03T09:53:13+00:00

Over the years I have developed several applications in Access for my personal use. In the last two days I have suddenly encountered the error message "Cannot open more databases" with each application. I have re-installed Microsoft 365 several times and compacted and repaired my databases - all to no avail. I am wondering if something has recently changed in Microsoft 365 Access to cause this problem. Whatever the cause I would appreciate any help to resolve the issue.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-02-04T21:12:17+00:00

    It isn't a Windows 10 vs 11 thing. It isn't a form vs subform thing.

    It is an update that caused this issue. The solution, as explain in the link I provided earlier, is to either rollback your Office build or, simply create a trusted folder for both your front-end and back-end folders (you'll also have to delete orphaned msaccess.exe processes and ldb/laccdb lock files).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-02-04T20:46:01+00:00

    IslaDogs (Collin Riddington) has some very useful utilities.

    My question now " is this Windows 11 related?"

    or a combination of 365 AND Windows?

    anyone having this issue on Windows 10?

    and is anyone finding this more of a problem with subforms / continuous forms or just all forms?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-02-04T12:50:22+00:00

    As I am using MS Access 2016, I wanted to add a note on this behavior.

    In the my previous screenprint you can see that there are eight records.

    I was able to create the first four records before receiving the can't open anymore database error.

    Access could only be closed using Task Manager to kill the program.
    Then I reopened the form, and was able to add another four records before receivng the can't open anymore database error.

    If you look carefully, at my screenprint you will see that MS Access is dropping 2 connections every second, which somewhat explains why I am only able to create four records at a time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-02-04T12:36:37+00:00

    Okay, so now I am even more perplexed, and pleased too, as the 'Cannot open any more databases' problem has stopped. I have set the trusted folder for the front and back ends, repaired Office 365 for the third time, checked all my code for spurious 'CurrentDb' objects not being set to Nothing (I found two instances and corrected them before recompiling and saving) and have rebooted my pc again. After all that the problem has not reoccurred so have I sorted it, I am not sure, but am happy to plod on with a working environment now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-02-04T12:24:58+00:00

    This error is not limited to MSOffice365.

    Microsoft recently updated my laptop from Windows 10 to Windows 11.

    Now all of my Access files open with a spinning hourglass and eventually the message that no more databases can be opened.

    I used a utility to add a form and a report to my application

    https://www.isladogs.co.uk/available-connections/index.html

    When I opened my application and then opened the form frmAvailableConnections, I was able to see that Microsoft Access was decrementing the available connections every second or so.

    Again all I did was open a single form. As you can see every second, Access is reducing the number of available connections until it runs out, at which time the error message is thrown.

    My environment is Windows 11 with MS Access 2016 which until this point has been very stable.

    Microsoft: Can you please fix this problem or allow us to abandon Windows 11?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments