Cannot open any more databases error 3048

Anonymous
2022-02-03T09:53:13+00:00

Over the years I have developed several applications in Access for my personal use. In the last two days I have suddenly encountered the error message "Cannot open more databases" with each application. I have re-installed Microsoft 365 several times and compacted and repaired my databases - all to no avail. I am wondering if something has recently changed in Microsoft 365 Access to cause this problem. Whatever the cause I would appreciate any help to resolve the issue.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-02-08T09:23:48+00:00

    Hello All

    Yesterday I decided to bite the bullet and spend some time talking to Microsoft support. Spoke to Joe who, very patiently, spent two hours with me to-ing and fro-ing with Level 2 Support to get me this fix…..apparently the only way to get around our problem is to uninstall Office first…..but it does work!

    Here it is:

    Create a folder called OfficeFix on C drive and put everything we do here in there.

    Download Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant (SARA):

    Download Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant from Official Microsoft Download Center

    Unzip then Extract to C:\OfficeFix

    Click/DoubleClick: ClickOnce

    Click/DoubleClick: SaraSetup.exe

    NOTE: This looks like a seriously useful tool for any problems with Office!

    Select: Office

    Select: ‘I have Office installed, but I’m having trouble uninstalling it’

    NOTE: Here SARA also provides a useful link to use for any other Users with the same issue:

    http://aka.ms/sara-officeuninstall

    Now it finds any Office installs on your PC - Usually only one

    Select the one to uninstall

    Let it run, including the PC Reboot

    Wait for SARA to automatically reopen

    *Ignore option to Reinstall Office

    Close SARA

    Now we are going to use another of Microsoft’s well kept secrets! This creates a proper Configuration.xml file that we can use to set up Office EXACTLY as we want it!

    Open Office Customisation Tool:

    Office Customization Tool - Products and releases

    NOTE: There are a few confusing options so here is my Configuration.xml to use as a guide.

    <Configuration ID="11b56a1e-ff60-42ac-8cae-a1cf01743a22">

      <Info Description="Rollback" />

      <Add OfficeClientEdition="64" Channel="SemiAnnual" Version="16.0.14326.20738">

        <Product ID="O365BusinessRetail">

          <Language ID="en-gb" />

          <ExcludeApp ID="Groove" />

          <ExcludeApp ID="Lync" />

          <ExcludeApp ID="OneNote" />

        </Product>

      </Add>

      <Updates Enabled="FALSE" />

      <RemoveMSI />

      <AppSettings>

        <Setup Name="Company" Value="Inline Filters" />

        <User Key="software\microsoft\office\16.0\access\settings" Name="default database directory" Value="\OFFICE1\Inline\Access" Type="REG_SZ" App="access16" Id="L_Defaultdatabasefolder" />

        <User Key="software\microsoft\office\16.0\excel\options" Name="defaultformat" Value="51" Type="REG_DWORD" App="excel16" Id="L_SaveExcelfilesas" />

        <User Key="software\microsoft\office\16.0\powerpoint\options" Name="defaultformat" Value="27" Type="REG_DWORD" App="ppt16" Id="L_SavePowerPointfilesas" />

        <User Key="software\microsoft\office\16.0\word\options" Name="defaultformat" Value="" Type="REG_SZ" App="word16" Id="L_SaveWordfilesas" />

      </AppSettings>

      <Display Level="Full" AcceptEULA="TRUE" />

    </Configuration>

    Now we can use ‘How to revert to an earlier version of Office’:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-to-revert-to-an-earlier-version-of-office-2bd5c457-a917-d57e-35a1-f709e3dda841

    Download: Office Deployment Tool to C:\OfficeFix

    Click/DoubleClick: officedeploymenttool_14729-20228.exe

    Install files in C:\OfficeFix

    We can delete all the configuration files it installs as we have our own

    We just need the setup.exe that it installs

    For this open Notepad and type:

    setup.exe /configure Configuration.xml

    Save as: OfficeFix.bat within our folder C:\OfficeFix

    Click/DoubleClick: OfficeFix.bat to run the batch file, it installs the Configuration.xml that was created by the Office Customisation Tool

    Your new Office will now install perfectly!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-02-08T07:02:14+00:00

    Hi all,

    I am sorry for the inconvenience the issue causes, if you meet problem when trying to revert back to previous version, I would suggest you create Office development tool XML configuration files from the link  Office Customization Tool, you can create XML file easier from the site. Please remember to turn off office auto update options when you create the XML. If you prefer an older version build that the website doesn’t provide, after create XML file, you may open it and change version build in Version part:

     

    Sorry for the issue again, and to address the issue in Access to the related developer team  of Access, please kindly provide feedback from File> Feedback> I don’t like something. Thanks for your patience and understanding!

    Best Regards,

    Clark

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-02-08T04:48:17+00:00

    Cloister Fudge!

    MS maybe should consider making rollbacks a bit easier.

    given the number and frequency of build release issues that negatively affect so many users...

    @Wayne,

    Have you turned off Automatic Update?

    Manually -

    Account > Office Updates > Update Options

    I can't find a command line switch to turn it off

    but the manual switch SHOULD stop updates wiping out your rollback. It does for me.

    To update to a specific build in Office Deployment Tool (Yeah it's still called that) Config file

    <Configuration>

    <Updates Enabled="TRUE" TargetVersion="16.0.14729.20260" />

    </Configuration>

    so I'm guessing, and I haven't tried it, but maybe run the ODT after updating with

    <Configuration>

    <Updates Enabled="FALSE" />

    </Configuration>

    although I couldn't get the ODT to work

    and don't you just love that in one method it's named "TargetVersion" in another "UpdateToVersion" and I've no idea what they call it in the Group Policy Object/Editor

    I'd love to see an option in the Account page

    Account > Office Updates > Update Options > Revert to Previous

    Cloister Fudges and all half baked!

    Peachy Cloister Fudges anyone???

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-02-08T01:24:08+00:00

    Kent

    This is really peachy! I've been having to "Update" backwards almost every day since this wjole this started... Files won't start off the start menu and lock file are left haging out their to the point that I can't open my databases. The Access 365 team appears to be on vacation... rolling back to

    OfficeC2RClient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.14729.20260

    for the upteenth time

    73

    Wayne N0POH

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-02-07T22:50:17+00:00

    "half baked", yep. frustrating isn't it.

    and I forgot to mention how useless the 365 admin center is.

    I resorted to a command prompt as admin then went to

    C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun

    when I run

    OfficeC2RClient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.13801.20266

    using my current build number I get "you're up to date". what does that mean? that build is far from up to date. What the message box should telll me is that "You currently have this build installed" or something like that.

    when I attempt to install

    OfficeC2RClient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.14326.20738

    which is the last good build that I'm aware of and the one most of my clients are now on as per this site

    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/update-history-microsoft365-apps-by-date

    takes some time checking then...

    I get Error Code: 20183-27(400)

    the 400 is standard web error suggesting a bad request

    my guess is that the build requested is not available despite the fact that it is still listed on the above site

    but MS are too lazy to provide a meaningful response.

    the recommended action is to run a fix for Office

    Fix Office update errors ("Office"? I don't have Office, I have Microsoft 365 don't I?)

    nomenclature aside...

    Tried that, still doesn't work

    at least they didn't tell me to reinstall windows then office, sorry 365.

    also tried 2111 14701.20290 with the same result

    Does anyone at MS bother to test this stuff?

    Apparently no, that's our job.

    I could try some more of the builds listed but I'd rather not wreck my own Office, sorry 365, install.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments