Cannot open any more databases error 3048

Anonymous
2022-02-03T09:53:13+00:00

Over the years I have developed several applications in Access for my personal use. In the last two days I have suddenly encountered the error message "Cannot open more databases" with each application. I have re-installed Microsoft 365 several times and compacted and repaired my databases - all to no avail. I am wondering if something has recently changed in Microsoft 365 Access to cause this problem. Whatever the cause I would appreciate any help to resolve the issue.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-02-07T07:26:54+00:00

    OK all security is back on.....thank you all for your concern.

    Tried every Rollback instructions I can find, including Microsoft's, KentGorrell's batch file, and many others I've found. None of them take.

    _______________

    My version is:

    Microsoft 365 Apps for Business

    Version 2201 (Build 14827.20158 Click-to-Run)

    Current Channel

    _______________

    I set up the Microsoft Config.xml as below:

    <Configuration>

    <Updates Enabled="TRUE" TargetVersion="16.0.14326.20738" />

    </Configuration>

    When I ran the setup.exe then click update from Excel/Account I get 'You're up to date - The latest version of Office is installed on your computer'

    It doesn't even try looking for the requested version.

    _______________

    KentGorrell's looks the more likely to work as my version is:

    This was my Batch File (Run as Administrator):

    "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\OfficeC2RClient.exe" /update user updatetoversion=16.0.14326.20738

    With this one I get: 'Checking for Updates' then 'Something went Wrong - Error Code: 30183-27 (400)'

    _______________

    Tried this Batch File (Run as Administrator) that I found from another website:

    cd "C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun"

    OfficeC2RClient.exe /changesetting Channel="Semi-Annual Enterprise"

    OfficeC2RClient.exe /update USER displaylevel=true forceappshutdown=true updatepromptuser=false

    OfficeC2RClient.exe /updatetoversion=16.0.14326.20738

    With this one I get: 'You're up to date - The latest version of Office is installed on your computer'

    _______________

    I have been in registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\Configuration

    Added the UpdatetoVersion key with Value data set as 14827.20158

    With this one I also get: 'Checking for Updates' then 'Something went Wrong - Error Code: 30183-27 (400)'

    _______________

    I find it unfathomable why a simple rollback is so difficult!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-02-06T23:48:59+00:00

    The rollback does look daunting.

    and typically, there are 57 different methods and they are all half baked. [exageration mine]

    For me the Office Depoyment Tool with a config.xml did not work.

    In the end I manually turned off automatic updates and now use a batch file to install the precise build I want

    C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\OfficeC2RClient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.[Build Number]

    eg

    C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun\OfficeC2RClient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.13801.20266

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. George Hepworth 23,120 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-02-06T16:54:42+00:00

    In our recent AUG Access Pacific meeting, Juan Soto, who was our presenter for the evening, told us that very few of his clients had been hit by this particular bug because he encourages them to stay on the Semi-Annual Channel.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. George Hepworth 23,120 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-02-06T16:50:04+00:00

    Daniel's right and I really only want to reinforce the importance of what he said.

    Turning off Malware protection is not a viable solution in the overall threat climate today.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-02-06T15:34:45+00:00

    So before I tackled the rollback I thought I'll try one more thing:

    I cleared out my Trusted Locations in Access and left the Windows Security switched off. Tried the macro again and everything worked!

    So I put my Access folder back into Trusted Locations. Tried the macro again and everything still worked!

    Finally I switched the Windows Security back on. Tried the macro again and, hey presto, everything still worked!!

    The macros are running and the laccdb lock files are closing properly. What did I just do? At the end of the day, nothing, but it's fixed......for now!

    PS. Just before I was going to hit send I thought I'll just try it one more time.....it fell over!! I guess it's back to the rollback instructions!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments