Cannot open any more databases error 3048

Anonymous
2022-02-03T09:53:13+00:00

Over the years I have developed several applications in Access for my personal use. In the last two days I have suddenly encountered the error message "Cannot open more databases" with each application. I have re-installed Microsoft 365 several times and compacted and repaired my databases - all to no avail. I am wondering if something has recently changed in Microsoft 365 Access to cause this problem. Whatever the cause I would appreciate any help to resolve the issue.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Access | For business | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-02-04T12:24:58+00:00

    This error is not limited to MSOffice365.

    Microsoft recently updated my laptop from Windows 10 to Windows 11.

    Now all of my Access files open with a spinning hourglass and eventually the message that no more databases can be opened.

    I used a utility to add a form and a report to my application

    https://www.isladogs.co.uk/available-connections/index.html

    When I opened my application and then opened the form frmAvailableConnections, I was able to see that Microsoft Access was decrementing the available connections every second or so.

    Again all I did was open a single form. As you can see every second, Access is reducing the number of available connections until it runs out, at which time the error message is thrown.

    My environment is Windows 11 with MS Access 2016 which until this point has been very stable.

    Microsoft: Can you please fix this problem or allow us to abandon Windows 11?

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-02-07T22:50:17+00:00

    "half baked", yep. frustrating isn't it.

    and I forgot to mention how useless the 365 admin center is.

    I resorted to a command prompt as admin then went to

    C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun

    when I run

    OfficeC2RClient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.13801.20266

    using my current build number I get "you're up to date". what does that mean? that build is far from up to date. What the message box should telll me is that "You currently have this build installed" or something like that.

    when I attempt to install

    OfficeC2RClient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.14326.20738

    which is the last good build that I'm aware of and the one most of my clients are now on as per this site

    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/update-history-microsoft365-apps-by-date

    takes some time checking then...

    I get Error Code: 20183-27(400)

    the 400 is standard web error suggesting a bad request

    my guess is that the build requested is not available despite the fact that it is still listed on the above site

    but MS are too lazy to provide a meaningful response.

    the recommended action is to run a fix for Office

    Fix Office update errors ("Office"? I don't have Office, I have Microsoft 365 don't I?)

    nomenclature aside...

    Tried that, still doesn't work

    at least they didn't tell me to reinstall windows then office, sorry 365.

    also tried 2111 14701.20290 with the same result

    Does anyone at MS bother to test this stuff?

    Apparently no, that's our job.

    I could try some more of the builds listed but I'd rather not wreck my own Office, sorry 365, install.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-02-04T09:33:39+00:00

    Hi Kent. Many thanks for your thoughts and it is something I need to explore. But that doesn't explain why the issue suddenly and simultaneously arose with each of my applications. It would certainly help if I could understand what changes were made in the January release of Access that would suddenly cause any erroneous programming on my part to cause the problem to occur. I have been using Access for more years than I care to remember and it has taken until this week to be an issue for me. It is clear that this is an issue for more than just myself and I would appreciate it if in such circumstances Microsoft would be proactive in providing relevant information to its customers so that they can make informed decisions on how best to proceed. Maybe they have but I have not found it. Hopefully it will be sorted soon and certainly by the next release in February. Regards. Geoff

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-02-04T09:05:46+00:00

    I'm guessing that there are two issues here

    1. when you close your application, Access doesn't completely close

    and as we Know, Access caches your connections

    1. when you reopen your application,, Access doesn't recognise the connection it already has to the db so it create a new one

    so it keeps creating more connnections until ...

    bang, you get this error

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2022-02-03T11:00:04+00:00

    Hi GeoffSeymour_246,

    Thanks for posting in the community.

    According to your description, may I know your Office version (Click File> Account)? Is it Version 2201? If so, many users have reported a similar issue in our community recently, and as a workaround, some users suggested rolling back to a previous version to fix the issue. Please view the following thread and check if it helps. Also, I would like to suggest you send feedback to Microsoft via File> Feedback> I don’t like something

    Is "Cannot open any more databases" what we can now expect from Access?

    If your version isn’t 2201, please feel free and come back to share with us.

    Regards,

    George

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments