Trying to fix windows not being able to install update file KB5005033 - DISM Restore Health source files not found (Error 0x800f081F) -

Ramu Indrasimhan 26 Reputation points
2021-08-12T23:17:57+00:00

Hello,

Windows 10 has pushed an update( KB5005033) for me that refuses to install. This is the error that I get:

Some update files are missing or have problems. We'll try to download the update again later. Error code: (0x80073712)

As a result, I ran a SFC /scannow and determined that there was files that needed to be repaired.

I then used DISM to repair the image using restorehealth.

I have used a Windows10 ISO that I downloaded. It is the same exact version and build number of my current Windows 10 version.

However when I run the following command:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:M\Sources\install.wim /LimitAccess

I get this error:

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

To try and repair this, I was told it could be an issue with .Net framework not being installed, so I used optional features to install that.

I've tried many different things and still get the same error Error: 0x800f081f

Basically, I want my computer to be able to install that original update I mentioned at the top of my post. Reinstalling Windows and letting it update from the boot menu is not an option (even though I chose to keep all apps and files), as it crashed my computer the last time (I entered a never ending bootloop) I had to do it, and I had to do a clean install of Windows.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Windows for business | Windows Client for IT Pros | User experience | Other

Answer accepted by question author
Silbian 91 Reputation points
2021-08-22T20:41:07.283+00:00

Hi, I'm back as promised, I found time this evening to repair W10 using the ESD-USB key, pepared yesterday by Media Creation Tool, X64 Italian version of course.
Following ur suggestions, I tried keeping my settings, performing a fresh install without loosing my personal files. More, I chose to install updates during the W10 install... this is the result I got :
125425-immagine-2021-08-22-192941.jpg

Unbelievable, it was successful...
Many restarts, keeping my fingers crossed anytime, but... at the end all was running fine !
I lost some customizations, it doesn't matter, I will restore all thru a free utility I use since many years, that's Winaero tweaker, especially for font sizes... my eyes aren't working anymore as I was young ;-)
All programs and other small things are working.
I checked WU and it just dowloaded and correctly installed a NetFramework update only.
The funny thing is, there is no mention anywhere on WU about KB5005033 installed, I don't care, Winver version showed is .1165 finally. Looking at WU the 21H1 install date remains 2021 May 19th as it was before.
Let see what will happen with the next "Tuesday patches"...
I'm thinking I will perform a clean install only with Windows 11 when it will be available.
I didn't try yet DISM or SFC checks, BTW the OS seems more responsive now than before.
It was great to be in touch with you all, hope again in the future for further interesting and less complicates adventures :-D
Oh... last but not least... a "special" thanks to all Microsoft guys for their kind and prompt support, please don't waste ur fingertips answering your customers. :LOL:

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Jeremy Bird 11 Reputation points
    2021-08-15T11:46:50.683+00:00

    BITS will always revert to Manual or Manual Trigger. Feel free to set it to Auto or Delayed Auto but a restart will reset it. Ditto wuauserv and to an extent WaaSMedicSvc, but varies by Windows ver. Safest way if you want it to always run is to set to Auto as you have done, and then just accept what happens after that - a reversion by the system to Manual or Manual Trigger. When you say above 'turn off', Manual is not turning it off. In function, it's as good as Auto or Auto Delayed because it will always get triggered on. BTW if ever you want to delete SoftwareDistribution in the Windows folder, first ensure BITS is not running, otherwise you may well find yourself with a BSOD.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Jeremy Bird 11 Reputation points
    2021-08-15T11:52:32.887+00:00

    Re Silbian above, 3.5 is not installed. That's the solid black square I referred to which means partial - in this case partial means nothing useful installed. You need to get a good old fashioned solid tick in that box and then let wuau do its thing. I have never known it not fix the 'Source not found' error 0x800f081f in DISM once you RestoreHealth. That's not to say it will never not fix it, never say never, but it has always worked for me on many systems over a long period of time.

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. Jeremy Bird 11 Reputation points
    2021-08-15T12:37:30.22+00:00

    BTW the stuff I've written above is a little off the topic of KB5005033 - I've addressed specifically the 0x800f081f  'Source/s not found error' in DISM.  But the two are related.  KB5005033, just like a Cumulative Update or two (or three) before it, is a bit of a problem child.  One of the biggest things that will make it fail is the absence of KB4023057.  No KB4023057, no KB5005033.  The problem is that KB4023057 is not available from the MS Update Catalogue for the more recent versions of Win10 - only the older ones. https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=kb4023057    And KB4023057 is version specific, even though they all carry the designation KB4023057.  I know, go figure.  So if you have 21H1 or pretty much anything after 1803, you're not going to get KB4023057 from the Update Catalogue.  You'll only get it using wuau.  But ... it's not over yet.  KB4023057 likes to play in the shadows.  Even when wuau has installed it, it won't show in installed Windows Updates (run from admin Cmd Prmpt    wmic qfe list  ). You won't see KB4023057 there even if you've installed it.  You also can't uninstall it, not surprisingly.  But as i said, no KB4023057, no KB5005033.  If you download KB5005033 from the Update Catalogue   https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=kb5005033   when you try to install it you'll get an error "This update is not applicable to your computer" which looks very confusing, because it is confusing, because it is applicable to your computer.  This is just MS double talk for "If you don't have KB4023057, you won't be getting KB5005033."  But even when you manage to get KB5005033 installed, the party’s not over, because even though you definitely have it installed - it's showing when you run   wmic qfe list   and when you do a winver you see 'Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.116' and you know 1165 means KB5005033, wuau might, at a time convenient to itself, just try to download the whole thing, 650+MB, again.  It will return 'Installed successfully'.  Again.  And then a day or two later it might just decide to phone home again and download and install the whole 650+MB all over again.  It's really good fun.

    Was this answer helpful?


  4. Jeremy Bird 11 Reputation points
    2021-08-15T12:41:21.507+00:00

    Yep, 'tick' = 'check mark' (never heard that term!). By 'solid' I just meant 'get that sucker in there'! No empty square, no solid black square, just a nice 'check mark'!

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.