Trying to fix windows not being able to install update file KB5005033 - DISM Restore Health source files not found (Error 0x800f081F) -

Ramu Indrasimhan 26 Reputation points
2021-08-12T23:17:57+00:00

Hello,

Windows 10 has pushed an update( KB5005033) for me that refuses to install. This is the error that I get:

Some update files are missing or have problems. We'll try to download the update again later. Error code: (0x80073712)

As a result, I ran a SFC /scannow and determined that there was files that needed to be repaired.

I then used DISM to repair the image using restorehealth.

I have used a Windows10 ISO that I downloaded. It is the same exact version and build number of my current Windows 10 version.

However when I run the following command:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:M\Sources\install.wim /LimitAccess

I get this error:

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

To try and repair this, I was told it could be an issue with .Net framework not being installed, so I used optional features to install that.

I've tried many different things and still get the same error Error: 0x800f081f

Basically, I want my computer to be able to install that original update I mentioned at the top of my post. Reinstalling Windows and letting it update from the boot menu is not an option (even though I chose to keep all apps and files), as it crashed my computer the last time (I entered a never ending bootloop) I had to do it, and I had to do a clean install of Windows.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Windows for business | Windows Client for IT Pros | User experience | Other

Answer accepted by question author
Silbian 91 Reputation points
2021-08-22T20:41:07.283+00:00

Hi, I'm back as promised, I found time this evening to repair W10 using the ESD-USB key, pepared yesterday by Media Creation Tool, X64 Italian version of course.
Following ur suggestions, I tried keeping my settings, performing a fresh install without loosing my personal files. More, I chose to install updates during the W10 install... this is the result I got :
125425-immagine-2021-08-22-192941.jpg

Unbelievable, it was successful...
Many restarts, keeping my fingers crossed anytime, but... at the end all was running fine !
I lost some customizations, it doesn't matter, I will restore all thru a free utility I use since many years, that's Winaero tweaker, especially for font sizes... my eyes aren't working anymore as I was young ;-)
All programs and other small things are working.
I checked WU and it just dowloaded and correctly installed a NetFramework update only.
The funny thing is, there is no mention anywhere on WU about KB5005033 installed, I don't care, Winver version showed is .1165 finally. Looking at WU the 21H1 install date remains 2021 May 19th as it was before.
Let see what will happen with the next "Tuesday patches"...
I'm thinking I will perform a clean install only with Windows 11 when it will be available.
I didn't try yet DISM or SFC checks, BTW the OS seems more responsive now than before.
It was great to be in touch with you all, hope again in the future for further interesting and less complicates adventures :-D
Oh... last but not least... a "special" thanks to all Microsoft guys for their kind and prompt support, please don't waste ur fingertips answering your customers. :LOL:

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Ramu Indrasimhan 26 Reputation points
    2021-08-15T23:57:50.63+00:00

    Sorry, I thought you meant issue a run command form the start menu, my bad. Here is the list of all my updates. FYI, this copy of windows is currently of a system image that I backed up about a year ago. Prior to backup windows was working perfectly so there shouldn't have been any issue with the updates. I only backed up after installing all of the apps/games I had, and then made the image, so it was basically from a fresh installation. I wonder if there might have been some sort of bug from the image, that is now preventing windows to install these updates. But if that were the case, than none of the updates you see in the screen shot should have installed right? Shouldn't have all the updates failed? Ughghg...

    Feels like we're inching closer to me having to do a fresh install of windows. Which will suck because if have terabytes of games installed on this computer. Just installed Flight simulator after restoring this system image a few weeks ago. This is so annoying because the purpose of an image is so that every is copied perfectly. I'm using macrium btw. 123392-screenshots.jpg

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Jeremy Bird 11 Reputation points
    2021-08-15T23:48:59.42+00:00

    That's weird. You opened CMD elevated, i.e. admin? Not that it should matter. Everyone always says open elevated but usually you really don't have to. But most people (me included) always do it by default just-in-case. All that said, I've seen CMD do that flicking up and closing almost instantly at times. Not sure why.
    Here is MS's solution. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/command-prompt-just-flashes-and-closes-immediately/0c663b42-a381-4170-9ea8-22c251373722
    So you get the usual DISM / SFC stuff - like they have ever fixed anything, and then in the next post she goes straight to "Do a Repair". Like that will fix it. Thanks MS, so helpful as usual.
    Try this one to see if you have 5005033. It should give a null return of course because you don't. wmic qfe | find "5005033" You can also use that specific KB check, as opposed to the 'list', to see if you have any particular KB installed. As I mentioned earlier, it won't work for KB4023057 which likes to hide in the shadows.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Ramu Indrasimhan 26 Reputation points
    2021-08-15T23:32:55.597+00:00

    Thanks for the tips on those apps that can stop Windows update until necessary. Think that's a solution for when I get this problem fixed haha! BTW, did a run command for wmic qfe list, and it literally opened a cmd and then closed it in less than a second. Never got a list at all.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  4. Jeremy Bird 11 Reputation points
    2021-08-15T23:19:40.4+00:00

    Good morning (my time) to both - RamuIndrasimhan and  Silbian, you both mention 5003173.  One has it and the other can't install it. I don't think (I might have missed) either of you commented on 5005260.  Have you checked for the existence of this one on your computer using    wmic qfe list   ?  Both these KB's are what MS refers to as 'Servicing Stack' updates/fixes/whatever.  Servicing Stack is MS code for "You may never be able to update your computer from this point onwards."  I suggest you also run   wmic qfe list   on the computer which is successfully on 1165 (Silbian) and check what KB's installed at (around) the same time as 5005033, then try to do that - get them from the Update Catalogue or any other MS KB source if you don't find what you need in the Catalogue.  BTW, I think someone mentioned in here (might have been somewhere else) that they successfully installed 5005033 and the update process didn't require a restart and they thought that was strange.  That would be strange under normal circumstances, but in this case it points absolutely to the fact that 5005033 was already installed and wuau just decided to phone home and pull it down again.  See in my previous post - this can go on ad infinitum.  Watch out for my new book with the short-and-catchy title  'If Your Computer Still Works After A Major Update, Don't Blame Microsoft - That Was Certainly Not Their Intention, Nor How It Worked In Their Testing'.  And whilst I'm already off-topic, let me stay there for a bit longer.   I always have Updates turned off on my computers and only turn them on on Patch Tuesday to see what exciting stuff MS has in store for us this month.  95, 98, XP, Vista were easy to turn off (pre granny-fy days). By 7 it was getting harder but still do-able. 8 harder still. 10 impossible.  That's all using the usual means.  So with 10, some companies, recognising the problem, went about fixing it.  The main one, the only one that has a product specifically designed to turn off wuau in 10 to my knowledge, is a software co. called Greatis and it is perhaps the best ally in this process. They have several products and one of them is StopUpdates10.  It is small, simple, totally safe and ... worth its weight in gold.  It does about ten or fifteen things, some of which are buried so deep you'd never find them on your own unless you were Mark Russinovich or in this case Dmitry Sokolov who is the chief developer at Greatis, and totally, safely, turns off all Windows Updates settings, services and processes in 10.  With a click of a button, you can turn them back on.  Greatis is simply the best s/w co. you've probably never heard of.  I should also mention O & O Software's ShutUp10.  It has about 180 (yes, 180) settings in which 10 continually tries to phone home. It can disable them all.  You choose what you want to do - O & O makes it easy.  I choose all of them with the exception of about 6 - app. access to microphone and camera and a couple of others.  StopUpdates10 and ShutUp10 are probably the most useful, powerful, easy-to-use, safe and just plain old fashioned make-you-feel-good pieces of s/w I've come across in ten years.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.