Trying to fix windows not being able to install update file KB5005033 - DISM Restore Health source files not found (Error 0x800f081F) -

Ramu Indrasimhan 26 Reputation points
2021-08-12T23:17:57+00:00

Hello,

Windows 10 has pushed an update( KB5005033) for me that refuses to install. This is the error that I get:

Some update files are missing or have problems. We'll try to download the update again later. Error code: (0x80073712)

As a result, I ran a SFC /scannow and determined that there was files that needed to be repaired.

I then used DISM to repair the image using restorehealth.

I have used a Windows10 ISO that I downloaded. It is the same exact version and build number of my current Windows 10 version.

However when I run the following command:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:M\Sources\install.wim /LimitAccess

I get this error:

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

To try and repair this, I was told it could be an issue with .Net framework not being installed, so I used optional features to install that.

I've tried many different things and still get the same error Error: 0x800f081f

Basically, I want my computer to be able to install that original update I mentioned at the top of my post. Reinstalling Windows and letting it update from the boot menu is not an option (even though I chose to keep all apps and files), as it crashed my computer the last time (I entered a never ending bootloop) I had to do it, and I had to do a clean install of Windows.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Windows for business | Windows Client for IT Pros | User experience | Other

Answer accepted by question author
Silbian 91 Reputation points
2021-08-22T20:41:07.283+00:00

Hi, I'm back as promised, I found time this evening to repair W10 using the ESD-USB key, pepared yesterday by Media Creation Tool, X64 Italian version of course.
Following ur suggestions, I tried keeping my settings, performing a fresh install without loosing my personal files. More, I chose to install updates during the W10 install... this is the result I got :
125425-immagine-2021-08-22-192941.jpg

Unbelievable, it was successful...
Many restarts, keeping my fingers crossed anytime, but... at the end all was running fine !
I lost some customizations, it doesn't matter, I will restore all thru a free utility I use since many years, that's Winaero tweaker, especially for font sizes... my eyes aren't working anymore as I was young ;-)
All programs and other small things are working.
I checked WU and it just dowloaded and correctly installed a NetFramework update only.
The funny thing is, there is no mention anywhere on WU about KB5005033 installed, I don't care, Winver version showed is .1165 finally. Looking at WU the 21H1 install date remains 2021 May 19th as it was before.
Let see what will happen with the next "Tuesday patches"...
I'm thinking I will perform a clean install only with Windows 11 when it will be available.
I didn't try yet DISM or SFC checks, BTW the OS seems more responsive now than before.
It was great to be in touch with you all, hope again in the future for further interesting and less complicates adventures :-D
Oh... last but not least... a "special" thanks to all Microsoft guys for their kind and prompt support, please don't waste ur fingertips answering your customers. :LOL:

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Jeremy Bird 11 Reputation points
    2021-08-16T02:23:11.627+00:00

    Make sure the three KB's noted previously are installed, especially KB4023057, or it will definitely fail with 'The update is not applicable to your computer'

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Jeremy Bird 11 Reputation points
    2021-08-16T02:10:17.683+00:00

    There are 40 pages. Sort by date. (it should load pre-sorted by date). Anything you want will be on the first page. e.g. if you're running 21H1 x64, this is your download: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/ScopedViewInline.aspx?updateid=30ff80c5-b497-48d5-9538-bb675853cf50

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. Jeremy Bird 11 Reputation points
    2021-08-16T00:31:08.67+00:00

    What's weird is that you have nothing in August, i.e. nothing as a result of 10AUG21 Patch Tuesday. Some of those late July updates you have did just become Patch Tuesday files and so won't have been repeated on or after 10AUG, but I'm surprised to see nothing since late July, given that you've been runiing wuau presumably a few times at least.

    Was this answer helpful?


  4. Jeremy Bird 11 Reputation points
    2021-08-16T00:22:08.227+00:00

    You might have done this, I don't recall, but if not can you try downloading the 600+MB file from the Update Catalogue ....

    https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=windows%2010%20cumulative%20update

    Make sure you choose the right one ... carefully ... and see if you can install?

    And if not, what message do you get?

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.