Trying to fix windows not being able to install update file KB5005033 - DISM Restore Health source files not found (Error 0x800f081F) -

Ramu Indrasimhan 26 Reputation points
2021-08-12T23:17:57+00:00

Hello,

Windows 10 has pushed an update( KB5005033) for me that refuses to install. This is the error that I get:

Some update files are missing or have problems. We'll try to download the update again later. Error code: (0x80073712)

As a result, I ran a SFC /scannow and determined that there was files that needed to be repaired.

I then used DISM to repair the image using restorehealth.

I have used a Windows10 ISO that I downloaded. It is the same exact version and build number of my current Windows 10 version.

However when I run the following command:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:M\Sources\install.wim /LimitAccess

I get this error:

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

To try and repair this, I was told it could be an issue with .Net framework not being installed, so I used optional features to install that.

I've tried many different things and still get the same error Error: 0x800f081f

Basically, I want my computer to be able to install that original update I mentioned at the top of my post. Reinstalling Windows and letting it update from the boot menu is not an option (even though I chose to keep all apps and files), as it crashed my computer the last time (I entered a never ending bootloop) I had to do it, and I had to do a clean install of Windows.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Windows for business | Windows Client for IT Pros | User experience | Other

Answer accepted by question author
Silbian 91 Reputation points
2021-08-22T20:41:07.283+00:00

Hi, I'm back as promised, I found time this evening to repair W10 using the ESD-USB key, pepared yesterday by Media Creation Tool, X64 Italian version of course.
Following ur suggestions, I tried keeping my settings, performing a fresh install without loosing my personal files. More, I chose to install updates during the W10 install... this is the result I got :
125425-immagine-2021-08-22-192941.jpg

Unbelievable, it was successful...
Many restarts, keeping my fingers crossed anytime, but... at the end all was running fine !
I lost some customizations, it doesn't matter, I will restore all thru a free utility I use since many years, that's Winaero tweaker, especially for font sizes... my eyes aren't working anymore as I was young ;-)
All programs and other small things are working.
I checked WU and it just dowloaded and correctly installed a NetFramework update only.
The funny thing is, there is no mention anywhere on WU about KB5005033 installed, I don't care, Winver version showed is .1165 finally. Looking at WU the 21H1 install date remains 2021 May 19th as it was before.
Let see what will happen with the next "Tuesday patches"...
I'm thinking I will perform a clean install only with Windows 11 when it will be available.
I didn't try yet DISM or SFC checks, BTW the OS seems more responsive now than before.
It was great to be in touch with you all, hope again in the future for further interesting and less complicates adventures :-D
Oh... last but not least... a "special" thanks to all Microsoft guys for their kind and prompt support, please don't waste ur fingertips answering your customers. :LOL:

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Silbian 91 Reputation points
    2021-08-20T17:40:06.797+00:00

    Oh... thanks Jeremy, I downloaded and made a new USB 21H1 install key this afternoon thru a just downloaded MCT, that reports to be version 10.0.19041.572.
    Yes, I made a mistake, but there's a way to check exactly which version is on the ESD-USB key just created before trying to install ?
    In the Source folder, the Install.esd big file doesn't show any version, if I extract install.wim from it... no version as well.
    So, rewriting my question, my concern is : I have the 19043.1110 installed, if I try a new install using this key, assuming it will work... I will get 19043.xxx what ?
    So, you're right again, maybe better to wait a couple of months for 21H2 / 19044 in case, in the hope it will be released since Win11 is coming...
    Anyway, many old PCs will not support Win11, my Toshiba will remain stuck on Win 10 so maybe a 21H2 will be the last chance to update it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Jeremy Bird 11 Reputation points
    2021-08-20T08:58:46.857+00:00

    Silbian,   
    19041 is 2004 aka 20H1.   That was only available using the Media Creation Tool between about May and October last year, 2020.   
    Right now, the Tool will only download 21H1 aka 19043 and that's been the case since late May this year.   
    I think you might be getting confused with the file version of the current version of the tool, which is 10.0.19041.572. Microsoft just does that, uses the same numbers, 1904x in both the Windows version and the Tool version, to mess with us. That's how they get their fun and we all know they need it (fun).
    I assure you the current version of the Tool will only download 21H1 / 19043.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  3. Silbian 91 Reputation points
    2021-08-20T08:15:34.303+00:00

    Hi RamuIndrasimhan and Jeremy, it was a nice experience to chat with you these days. Well, I traveled around the world for 20 years for my Printed Circuits Boards former job. Unfortunalely I never been in both of your countries but... never say never.... I'm retired now, so a lot of free time, despite the current circumstancies.
    Thanks RamuIndrasimhan, by your name I can guess your Country, happy to know you have a part of Italy in your family, I'm from Turin, northwest, a little far from the beautiful Sicily.

    Back to the point, concerning the Media Creation Tool, I did the same to upgrade from 20H2 to 21H1 using this way to safely update Win10 and it works.
    I was concerned to try again in these days, as I wrote before, the 21H1 downloadable version by MCT is the 10.0.19041.844 while the actual running version is 10.0.19043.1110 since impossible to set the 1165. I'm not sure if installing an outdated version on a newer one it will lead to get some mess...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  4. Ramu Indrasimhan 26 Reputation points
    2021-08-20T00:59:12.55+00:00

    Jeremy thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate. I'll vacillate between your two options. The only reason I would consider option 1 is because I game a lot, and alot of times games will start having problems if Windows is not fully up to date.

    I'll give the 1st option a try, and if not, just format the computer and start from square one.

    Silbian I have to agree with Jeremy, it has been great having you on this thread, sharing your experiences as well. I too agree that your English is excellent. My wife is of Italian heritage (Sicilian) and I loved Italy when we went for our honeymoon.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.