Trying to fix windows not being able to install update file KB5005033 - DISM Restore Health source files not found (Error 0x800f081F) -

Ramu Indrasimhan 26 Reputation points
2021-08-12T23:17:57+00:00

Hello,

Windows 10 has pushed an update( KB5005033) for me that refuses to install. This is the error that I get:

Some update files are missing or have problems. We'll try to download the update again later. Error code: (0x80073712)

As a result, I ran a SFC /scannow and determined that there was files that needed to be repaired.

I then used DISM to repair the image using restorehealth.

I have used a Windows10 ISO that I downloaded. It is the same exact version and build number of my current Windows 10 version.

However when I run the following command:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:M\Sources\install.wim /LimitAccess

I get this error:

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

To try and repair this, I was told it could be an issue with .Net framework not being installed, so I used optional features to install that.

I've tried many different things and still get the same error Error: 0x800f081f

Basically, I want my computer to be able to install that original update I mentioned at the top of my post. Reinstalling Windows and letting it update from the boot menu is not an option (even though I chose to keep all apps and files), as it crashed my computer the last time (I entered a never ending bootloop) I had to do it, and I had to do a clean install of Windows.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Windows for business | Windows Client for IT Pros | User experience | Other

Answer accepted by question author
Silbian 91 Reputation points
2021-08-22T20:41:07.283+00:00

Hi, I'm back as promised, I found time this evening to repair W10 using the ESD-USB key, pepared yesterday by Media Creation Tool, X64 Italian version of course.
Following ur suggestions, I tried keeping my settings, performing a fresh install without loosing my personal files. More, I chose to install updates during the W10 install... this is the result I got :
125425-immagine-2021-08-22-192941.jpg

Unbelievable, it was successful...
Many restarts, keeping my fingers crossed anytime, but... at the end all was running fine !
I lost some customizations, it doesn't matter, I will restore all thru a free utility I use since many years, that's Winaero tweaker, especially for font sizes... my eyes aren't working anymore as I was young ;-)
All programs and other small things are working.
I checked WU and it just dowloaded and correctly installed a NetFramework update only.
The funny thing is, there is no mention anywhere on WU about KB5005033 installed, I don't care, Winver version showed is .1165 finally. Looking at WU the 21H1 install date remains 2021 May 19th as it was before.
Let see what will happen with the next "Tuesday patches"...
I'm thinking I will perform a clean install only with Windows 11 when it will be available.
I didn't try yet DISM or SFC checks, BTW the OS seems more responsive now than before.
It was great to be in touch with you all, hope again in the future for further interesting and less complicates adventures :-D
Oh... last but not least... a "special" thanks to all Microsoft guys for their kind and prompt support, please don't waste ur fingertips answering your customers. :LOL:

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Silbian 91 Reputation points
    2021-08-15T08:58:50.133+00:00

    It seems RamuIndrasimhan and myself are in the same boat...
    To be honest, the error 0x800f081f is given by DISM restore health, while Windows Update shows :
    123351-windows-update-error.jpg

    Anyway, following JeremyBird tips ( he probably deleted his post ), I checked Programs and Features, NET Framework 3.5 was already like this :
    123317-funzionalita-windows.jpg

    The only "strange behavior" I found in BITS service, coz services.msc shows it's set to manual and not active, I set it to Automatic (delayed) but it switch off by itself to off and manual after a while and after a reboot...
    I switch it on then launch DISM scan ( the components archive can be restored ) and then restore health... no way, error 0x800f081f by DISM restore health !
    123270-dism-scan-health-and-restore.jpg

    I'm sorry, my Windows 21H1 is set to Italian language... but it's understandable as well.

    Another try I did was to download the stand alone update Windows10.0-kb5005033-x64 from Microsoft Update Catalog.
    After a WU reset, reboot and the command net start bits, i tried to manually update thru the .msu file.
    Again, same error and back to previous conficuration...
    Any other suggestions? Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?


  2. Jeremy Bird 11 Reputation points
    2021-08-15T03:38:47.617+00:00

    This can be a nightmare. 0x800f081f is uniquely to do with dotNET Framework 3.5 and its associated bits and pieces, including earlier versions .NET 2.0 and .NET 3.0. You have something on your computer that really wants these (many of us do, most without knowing it). Sooo ... go to Control Panel / Programs and Features / Turn Windows features on or off and put a nice solid tick (i.e. not blank (which it likely is when you first see it) or a black square box) in '.NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)' and 'OK' that. Make sure you have Windows Updates fully enabled, including the BITS service (Background Intelligent Transfer Service). Reboot. Check for Windows updates. Some things will happen - you'll be looking at about 90MB or so of download. Go back to DISM. Run CheckHealth and/or ScanHealth. Hopefully both will say the Component Store is repairable. Run RestoreHealth. If a miracle happens, all will now be good.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  3. Spigolo 136.2K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2021-08-14T20:35:38.343+00:00

    Hi @Ramu Indrasimhan

    If you typed this exact command, you forgot a colon after M

    123313-image.png

    Was this answer helpful?


  4. Silbian 91 Reputation points
    2021-08-14T20:13:05.583+00:00

    Sorry, I forgot to write in my previous msg that I get same error description but the error code is 0x80070003
    BTW, any solution concerning this error found on the web doesn't work.
    DISM check shows no errors, just stuck on this useless loop... update, restart, impossible to install, restore previous configuration, WU retry... again and again...
    I suppose it will be impossible to download and install next updates...

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.