Trying to fix windows not being able to install update file KB5005033 - DISM Restore Health source files not found (Error 0x800f081F) -

Ramu Indrasimhan 26 Reputation points
2021-08-12T23:17:57+00:00

Hello,

Windows 10 has pushed an update( KB5005033) for me that refuses to install. This is the error that I get:

Some update files are missing or have problems. We'll try to download the update again later. Error code: (0x80073712)

As a result, I ran a SFC /scannow and determined that there was files that needed to be repaired.

I then used DISM to repair the image using restorehealth.

I have used a Windows10 ISO that I downloaded. It is the same exact version and build number of my current Windows 10 version.

However when I run the following command:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:M\Sources\install.wim /LimitAccess

I get this error:

Error: 0x800f081f

The source files could not be found.
Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

To try and repair this, I was told it could be an issue with .Net framework not being installed, so I used optional features to install that.

I've tried many different things and still get the same error Error: 0x800f081f

Basically, I want my computer to be able to install that original update I mentioned at the top of my post. Reinstalling Windows and letting it update from the boot menu is not an option (even though I chose to keep all apps and files), as it crashed my computer the last time (I entered a never ending bootloop) I had to do it, and I had to do a clean install of Windows.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Windows for business | Windows Client for IT Pros | User experience | Other

Answer accepted by question author
Silbian 91 Reputation points
2021-08-22T20:41:07.283+00:00

Hi, I'm back as promised, I found time this evening to repair W10 using the ESD-USB key, pepared yesterday by Media Creation Tool, X64 Italian version of course.
Following ur suggestions, I tried keeping my settings, performing a fresh install without loosing my personal files. More, I chose to install updates during the W10 install... this is the result I got :
125425-immagine-2021-08-22-192941.jpg

Unbelievable, it was successful...
Many restarts, keeping my fingers crossed anytime, but... at the end all was running fine !
I lost some customizations, it doesn't matter, I will restore all thru a free utility I use since many years, that's Winaero tweaker, especially for font sizes... my eyes aren't working anymore as I was young ;-)
All programs and other small things are working.
I checked WU and it just dowloaded and correctly installed a NetFramework update only.
The funny thing is, there is no mention anywhere on WU about KB5005033 installed, I don't care, Winver version showed is .1165 finally. Looking at WU the 21H1 install date remains 2021 May 19th as it was before.
Let see what will happen with the next "Tuesday patches"...
I'm thinking I will perform a clean install only with Windows 11 when it will be available.
I didn't try yet DISM or SFC checks, BTW the OS seems more responsive now than before.
It was great to be in touch with you all, hope again in the future for further interesting and less complicates adventures :-D
Oh... last but not least... a "special" thanks to all Microsoft guys for their kind and prompt support, please don't waste ur fingertips answering your customers. :LOL:

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. zx81 1 Reputation point
    2021-09-04T09:41:16.593+00:00

    Following this advice in the link below allowed me to finally resolve this issue without having to reset. I was able to keep all my data, settings and apps.

    You need to follow the steps carefully and remember to re-enable system restore points as this gets disabled for some reason once the process is complete.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsHelp/comments/pavsw5/update_kb5005033_will_not_install_despite_trying/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Silbian 91 Reputation points
    2021-08-21T07:28:07.193+00:00

    Hi Jeremy,
    a very comprehensive answer. Now I'm curious to check what will happen trying an OS reinstall without loosing already installed progs. But I will do it next week, I'm not intentioned to spoil my mood during the weekend, haha. I 'll be back to you guys, letting u know about the results. Fingers crossed.
    For what concerns NVIDIA drivers, days ago I updated all drivers available for both Intel and NVIDIA graphic cards, useless... always same WU error.

    Yeah, I've already used that tool to check W11 compatibility for my Toshiba, the answer sounds like : what do you expect to do with this scrap ? ;-)
    It doesn't matter, I just use it as spare PC and works well even its age. It has a new SSD and I replaced the Keyboard, the Wi-Fi card and the battery. It will last still many years. :-)

    Hi RamuIndrasimhan,
    it's nice to know you solved ur problem. I suppose, as fresh install you meant loosing all on PC then reinstall SW and data from a backup, right ?

    I wish u both a nice weekend !

    Was this answer helpful?


  3. Ramu Indrasimhan 26 Reputation points
    2021-08-21T04:52:23.103+00:00

    Finally fixed everything, but I had to do a fresh install. KB5005033 update finally installed. FU microsoft lol!

    Was this answer helpful?


  4. Jeremy Bird 11 Reputation points
    2021-08-21T00:36:45.35+00:00

    Hi Silbian, 
    The name of the ISO file you downloaded, approximately 5.5GB in size, should be  'Win10_21H1_English_x64'  What you've downloaded is 21H1, i.e. 19043, as at May 2021.  To the best of my knowledge, and I've researched this extensively but I still can't be 100% sure, when MS releases a new version, such as 21H1 / 19043, in this case in May 2021, and make it available from the MCT, they don't continually change that file as Cumulative Updates are released, usually monthly on Patch Tuesday. I think that original version, and as I said still the one you will have downloaded yesterday, is 10.0.19043.985 but again I'm not 100% certain. But the actual number there (e.g. 985) doesn't matter. When you install it, you have two options - to do the install effectively offline by choosing the option not to let it look for updates to what you're about to install before it installs it (you can of course do the install literally offline by disconnecting from the 'net. That way you know you're installing exactly what you downloaded which as I said I think is 10.0.19043.985).  Or, assuming you stay connected to the 'net and 'allow Windows to check for updates' during the install, you should end up with 1165, but you still might not do so and will have to manually check for Windows updates after the install to let it find the Cumulative Update to 1165 (5005033) and bring you right up to date. BTW KB5005101 has been developed which will take the version to 10.0.19043.1200 but is only available on the Release Preview Channel, so don't worry about that.  Also for your interest, your currently installed version, 1110, had a public release via KB5004237 on 13 July 2021.
    This is my advice. Again, two options.
     1. Do nothing and wait for the public release of 21H2.  21H2 is currently on the Release Preview Channel at 10.0.19044.1200 via KB5005101. I would expect to see it go public in the next few months. Just be aware that with your current issues with 5005033, 21H2 might fail to install successfully on your system, for reasons that you will never get to the bottom of.  Many people ran Windows 10 perfectly from 1507 to 1511 to 1607 to 1703 to 1709 to 1803 to 1809 to 1903 to 1909 and ..... got stuck forever on 1909.  There are many, many theories as to what the problem is, most of them hovering around having an old version of an NVIDIA driver installed.  Most if not all of those theories are just wrong, and the mystery as to why so many computers can't move beyond 1909 remains just that, a mystery, the answer to which probably lies somewhere deep inside Microsoft, and they aren't telling. 
     2. Install the download you just pulled down using the MCT. I would normally suggest doing it totally offline (I always do it that way) and then once installed, letting Windows Updates bring it up to date.  But in your case, given that you'll be installing an older version than that which you currently have installed, it might make sense to check the option to allow it to check for updates before/during the install. 
    With either of these methods, I really don't think you will run in to any serious problems at all, but as always, take a system image before you start.
    Re the question will Windows 11 run on existing hardware, this is quite a good tool, but you probably already know about it and used it to check your Toshiba.  https://www.whynotwin11.com/  You'll be looking to install ver. 2.3.2
    Good luck, cheers,

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.