How can I customize the context menu in Word 365? I want "cut" and do not want "Review Selection"

Anonymous
2022-03-03T15:02:19+00:00

Microsoft has abruptly added "Review Selection in Editor" to the top of the Context Menu in Word.

I can't select all, right-click, and land on "Cut," which is what I want.

"Review Selection..." may be perfectly helpful, but I don't want it at the top.

Please tell me there is some way to customize this menu so that I can have Cut on top like always.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-03-20T18:40:55+00:00

I don't really know why this thread would be closed:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/how-can-i-customize-the-context-menu-in-word-365/09292fb3-fec8-4a69-99e7-7570878f2658?page=3

unless it would be that Microsoft and the Moderators here don't like to hear criticism about their products??

[Moderator's note: I unlocked it and merged this to the end.]

Anyway, as that thread was never answered and apparently the issue is an annoyance for more than one user:Opening a new blank document (based off normal template) and running this code does seem to exterminate the pesky menu command:

Sub RemoveContentMenuItem()

Dim oCtr As CommandBarControl

Dim oCB As CommandBar

  CustomizationContext = ThisDocument.AttachedTemplate

  Set oCB = CommandBars("Text")

  For Each oCtr In CommandBars("Text").Controls

     If oCtr.Caption = "Review selection in &Editor" Then

       oCtr.Delete

     End If

Next

Set oCB = Nothing

  Set oCtr = Nothing

End Sub

Be sure to save the Normal template changes when you quit Word

Install/Employ VBA Procedures (Macros) by Greg Maxey

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2022-03-18T21:22:20+00:00

    I believe that the ribbon interface was introduced partly in response to customers—corporate customers, that is. From a business perspective, supporting a product which can't be customized is of course easier than supporting a product that can be customized. This was Office 2007. Office 2010 re-introduced some customization (see Charles's reply).

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Charles Kenyon 171.1K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-03-19T03:22:57+00:00

    They do read feedback and pay attention to it. Here are two articles on that subject.

    However, the feedback that comes from big purchasers likely does carry more weight.

    I think the decision was made long ago. They bent a bit with Word 2010 by allowing moderate ribbon customization in the UI and by allowing QAT modification.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-03-20T14:08:12+00:00

    If their bottom line would be hurt with this approach they would make a change, but they don't make a change because they don't have to. They are arrogant and they don't care about human beings.

    Was this answer helpful?

    5 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-03-20T14:09:25+00:00

    I sent through one of the links, but again, all of this is too complicated for ordinary people trying to live their ordinary lives. Thank you for the links though.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments