How can I customize the context menu in Word 365? I want "cut" and do not want "Review Selection"

Anonymous
2022-03-03T15:02:19+00:00

Microsoft has abruptly added "Review Selection in Editor" to the top of the Context Menu in Word.

I can't select all, right-click, and land on "Cut," which is what I want.

"Review Selection..." may be perfectly helpful, but I don't want it at the top.

Please tell me there is some way to customize this menu so that I can have Cut on top like always.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-03-20T18:40:55+00:00

I don't really know why this thread would be closed:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/how-can-i-customize-the-context-menu-in-word-365/09292fb3-fec8-4a69-99e7-7570878f2658?page=3

unless it would be that Microsoft and the Moderators here don't like to hear criticism about their products??

[Moderator's note: I unlocked it and merged this to the end.]

Anyway, as that thread was never answered and apparently the issue is an annoyance for more than one user:Opening a new blank document (based off normal template) and running this code does seem to exterminate the pesky menu command:

Sub RemoveContentMenuItem()

Dim oCtr As CommandBarControl

Dim oCB As CommandBar

  CustomizationContext = ThisDocument.AttachedTemplate

  Set oCB = CommandBars("Text")

  For Each oCtr In CommandBars("Text").Controls

     If oCtr.Caption = "Review selection in &Editor" Then

       oCtr.Delete

     End If

Next

Set oCB = Nothing

  Set oCtr = Nothing

End Sub

Be sure to save the Normal template changes when you quit Word

Install/Employ VBA Procedures (Macros) by Greg Maxey

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2023-03-21T03:00:27+00:00

    That worked great!

    Problem 2: Since the original post, Microsoft has added ANOTHER small pre-cut context menu item box: "Search the Menus". This one isn't as annoying since it doesn't get automatically selected by the cursor, but if you happen to know the name of the item to also remove it from the code, that would be very helpful. I'm not much of a coder and have no idea how to open up the context menu info to figure out what to call it, but I can add a line to the code you posted.

    Hope my reply is still OT for the mods here. :D

    Greg may have a solution, but the search box does not respond to the same method. It does not have a "Caption."

    Yeah I'm getting the same - no result.

    Like I said though, the search box isn't a huge problem like the review one was. It's just been such a habit to click and then hit that top item for literally decades and having that reflex continually opening the useless review panel was frustrating. The search box doesn't open anything, it just "is", and that's fine at least for me.

    I appreciate the attempt though. I'm also curious as to why you're not getting the same search box. I wonder if there's an option somewhere that I missed? For reference, I'm using Word365 on PC.

    Thanks again

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Charles Kenyon 171.1K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-03-20T21:19:19+00:00

    That worked great!

    Problem 2: Since the original post, Microsoft has added ANOTHER small pre-cut context menu item box: "Search the Menus". This one isn't as annoying since it doesn't get automatically selected by the cursor, but if you happen to know the name of the item to also remove it from the code, that would be very helpful. I'm not much of a coder and have no idea how to open up the context menu info to figure out what to call it, but I can add a line to the code you posted.

    Hope my reply is still OT for the mods here. :D

    Greg may have a solution, but the search box does not respond to the same method. It does not have a "Caption."

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2023-03-20T21:05:37+00:00

    No promises (I don't have that on my menu). Run this and see if you can determine the caption if it has one (You will have to display the Immediate Window):

    Sub GetCaption()
    Dim oCtr As CommandBarControl
    Dim oCB As CommandBar
    'Make command bar changes in template
    CustomizationContext = ThisDocument.AttachedTemplate
    Set oCB = CommandBars("Text")
    For Each oCtr In CommandBars("Text").Controls
    Debug.Print oCtr.Caption
    'Make a note of what the caption appears to be.
    Next
    Set oCB = Nothing
    Set oCtr = Nothing
    End Sub

    ... Then run the other procedure using the caption found.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2023-03-20T20:53:29+00:00

    And in most cases, that is a good thing. :-)

    We see too many threads that are "resurrected" for no good reason...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments