How can I customize the context menu in Word 365? I want "cut" and do not want "Review Selection"

Anonymous
2022-03-03T15:02:19+00:00

Microsoft has abruptly added "Review Selection in Editor" to the top of the Context Menu in Word.

I can't select all, right-click, and land on "Cut," which is what I want.

"Review Selection..." may be perfectly helpful, but I don't want it at the top.

Please tell me there is some way to customize this menu so that I can have Cut on top like always.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-03-20T18:40:55+00:00

I don't really know why this thread would be closed:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/how-can-i-customize-the-context-menu-in-word-365/09292fb3-fec8-4a69-99e7-7570878f2658?page=3

unless it would be that Microsoft and the Moderators here don't like to hear criticism about their products??

[Moderator's note: I unlocked it and merged this to the end.]

Anyway, as that thread was never answered and apparently the issue is an annoyance for more than one user:Opening a new blank document (based off normal template) and running this code does seem to exterminate the pesky menu command:

Sub RemoveContentMenuItem()

Dim oCtr As CommandBarControl

Dim oCB As CommandBar

  CustomizationContext = ThisDocument.AttachedTemplate

  Set oCB = CommandBars("Text")

  For Each oCtr In CommandBars("Text").Controls

     If oCtr.Caption = "Review selection in &Editor" Then

       oCtr.Delete

     End If

Next

Set oCB = Nothing

  Set oCtr = Nothing

End Sub

Be sure to save the Normal template changes when you quit Word

Install/Employ VBA Procedures (Macros) by Greg Maxey

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2022-03-05T13:55:32+00:00

    Thanks. I tried but it's been years since I've done any code or OS tinkering and I just don't have the energy or time to figure it out right now. If there's a simpler version of the instructions or just a small part of the article with clear 1-2-3 steps, please let me know. Thanks again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2022-03-04T12:20:03+00:00

    Using the keyboard is a habit, of course.

    Unfortunately, there is not much chance that Microsoft will bring back right-click menu customization, so you may have no other choice than look at the article which Charles linked to.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-03-04T12:03:35+00:00

    That may be the quickest way for you, but as I said in my previous replay most of the time I prefer to use the touchpad/mouse. It all depends on my finger positioning. You can't assume that the way that works best for you is the way that works best for everyone else. (And by this point, I think most of us have figured out what Ctrl-X and Ctrl-C do.)

    What makes this new feature even worse is that it won't appear if there's a hyperlink in the section I am cutting, so suddenly "cut" is back on top in those cases. I just want Microsoft to fix this idiocy. The arrogance of tech companies is unbelievable to me.

    Thanks for the other information.

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2022-03-03T15:50:33+00:00

    Microsoft removed all customization when the ribbon interface was introduced in 2007. Since then, basic ribbon customization has been reintroduced, but there is no simple way, in the user interface, to affect the context menus.

    VBA means Visual Basic for Applications; it is the scripting language built into (some of) the Office programs.

    As I said in my previous reply, the quickest way to cut content is to select it and press Ctrl+X. (To copy, use Ctrl+C instead.) Paste with Ctrl+V.

    An advantage is that you can use these shortcuts in most Windows programs that allow cut, copy and paste.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments