How can I customize the context menu in Word 365? I want "cut" and do not want "Review Selection"

Anonymous
2022-03-03T15:02:19+00:00

Microsoft has abruptly added "Review Selection in Editor" to the top of the Context Menu in Word.

I can't select all, right-click, and land on "Cut," which is what I want.

"Review Selection..." may be perfectly helpful, but I don't want it at the top.

Please tell me there is some way to customize this menu so that I can have Cut on top like always.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-03-20T18:40:55+00:00

I don't really know why this thread would be closed:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/how-can-i-customize-the-context-menu-in-word-365/09292fb3-fec8-4a69-99e7-7570878f2658?page=3

unless it would be that Microsoft and the Moderators here don't like to hear criticism about their products??

[Moderator's note: I unlocked it and merged this to the end.]

Anyway, as that thread was never answered and apparently the issue is an annoyance for more than one user:Opening a new blank document (based off normal template) and running this code does seem to exterminate the pesky menu command:

Sub RemoveContentMenuItem()

Dim oCtr As CommandBarControl

Dim oCB As CommandBar

  CustomizationContext = ThisDocument.AttachedTemplate

  Set oCB = CommandBars("Text")

  For Each oCtr In CommandBars("Text").Controls

     If oCtr.Caption = "Review selection in &Editor" Then

       oCtr.Delete

     End If

Next

Set oCB = Nothing

  Set oCtr = Nothing

End Sub

Be sure to save the Normal template changes when you quit Word

Install/Employ VBA Procedures (Macros) by Greg Maxey

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Charles Kenyon 171.1K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-03-21T17:06:50+00:00

    Hi Patrick,

    Again, Greg has provided instructions on what to do with the macro.

    I understand your reluctance but it truly is not very difficult.

    My main reason for writing is to, again, urge you to leave feedback with MS through their mechanisms.

    That is the only way the people who make these changes will know that it causes you problems.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2023-03-21T16:59:50+00:00

    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who tried to help with this issue. My coding days are 25 years in the rear view, and even though the macro is probably relatively easy to plug in, I just don't have the time in my life to tinker right now, especially if I screw something up. Like others have said, Microsoft (and other tech companies) creates problems where there aren't any. At some point maybe Microsoft will make this an easy fix for users without our having to fiddle with code, but for now I'll just deal. It took time but I made the adjustment (and then they added the second one... good heavens), but it's the hassle and indifference from this company that's taking my money that angers me to no end. Thanks again for everyone's help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  4. Anonymous
    2022-06-02T19:34:21+00:00

    Agree 100%

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments