How can I customize the context menu in Word 365? I want "cut" and do not want "Review Selection"

Anonymous
2022-03-03T15:02:19+00:00

Microsoft has abruptly added "Review Selection in Editor" to the top of the Context Menu in Word.

I can't select all, right-click, and land on "Cut," which is what I want.

"Review Selection..." may be perfectly helpful, but I don't want it at the top.

Please tell me there is some way to customize this menu so that I can have Cut on top like always.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-03-20T18:40:55+00:00

I don't really know why this thread would be closed:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/how-can-i-customize-the-context-menu-in-word-365/09292fb3-fec8-4a69-99e7-7570878f2658?page=3

unless it would be that Microsoft and the Moderators here don't like to hear criticism about their products??

[Moderator's note: I unlocked it and merged this to the end.]

Anyway, as that thread was never answered and apparently the issue is an annoyance for more than one user:Opening a new blank document (based off normal template) and running this code does seem to exterminate the pesky menu command:

Sub RemoveContentMenuItem()

Dim oCtr As CommandBarControl

Dim oCB As CommandBar

  CustomizationContext = ThisDocument.AttachedTemplate

  Set oCB = CommandBars("Text")

  For Each oCtr In CommandBars("Text").Controls

     If oCtr.Caption = "Review selection in &Editor" Then

       oCtr.Delete

     End If

Next

Set oCB = Nothing

  Set oCtr = Nothing

End Sub

Be sure to save the Normal template changes when you quit Word

Install/Employ VBA Procedures (Macros) by Greg Maxey

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-06-03T20:08:10+00:00

    Thanks for the response. My coding days (what little there were of them) are far behind me now, and even looking at all the steps required to alter the menu just gives me a headache. I still think that Microsoft needs to make this user-friendly, but again, they just don't care. For any of us whose central beliefs involve taking care of all of our fellow human beings near and far, observing the behaviors of those who go through life without those same concerns leads to nothing more than complete incomprehension and disbelief.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Stefan Blom 353.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2022-03-03T15:09:05+00:00

    There is no simple way to edit the right-click/context menus in Word. It can be done in Word VBA.

    However, the simplest way to access the Cut command would be to use the built-in shortcut Ctrl+X.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Charles Kenyon 171.1K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2022-03-19T03:22:57+00:00

    They do read feedback and pay attention to it. Here are two articles on that subject.

    However, the feedback that comes from big purchasers likely does carry more weight.

    I think the decision was made long ago. They bent a bit with Word 2010 by allowing moderate ribbon customization in the UI and by allowing QAT modification.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-03-05T13:55:32+00:00

    Thanks. I tried but it's been years since I've done any code or OS tinkering and I just don't have the energy or time to figure it out right now. If there's a simpler version of the instructions or just a small part of the article with clear 1-2-3 steps, please let me know. Thanks again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments