How can I customize the context menu in Word 365? I want "cut" and do not want "Review Selection"

Anonymous
2022-03-03T15:02:19+00:00

Microsoft has abruptly added "Review Selection in Editor" to the top of the Context Menu in Word.

I can't select all, right-click, and land on "Cut," which is what I want.

"Review Selection..." may be perfectly helpful, but I don't want it at the top.

Please tell me there is some way to customize this menu so that I can have Cut on top like always.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2023-03-20T18:40:55+00:00

I don't really know why this thread would be closed:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/how-can-i-customize-the-context-menu-in-word-365/09292fb3-fec8-4a69-99e7-7570878f2658?page=3

unless it would be that Microsoft and the Moderators here don't like to hear criticism about their products??

[Moderator's note: I unlocked it and merged this to the end.]

Anyway, as that thread was never answered and apparently the issue is an annoyance for more than one user:Opening a new blank document (based off normal template) and running this code does seem to exterminate the pesky menu command:

Sub RemoveContentMenuItem()

Dim oCtr As CommandBarControl

Dim oCB As CommandBar

  CustomizationContext = ThisDocument.AttachedTemplate

  Set oCB = CommandBars("Text")

  For Each oCtr In CommandBars("Text").Controls

     If oCtr.Caption = "Review selection in &Editor" Then

       oCtr.Delete

     End If

Next

Set oCB = Nothing

  Set oCtr = Nothing

End Sub

Be sure to save the Normal template changes when you quit Word

Install/Employ VBA Procedures (Macros) by Greg Maxey

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2023-03-21T23:04:21+00:00

    Okay, I'll send the info directly to Microsoft as soon as I can and will post here with any links. I may tinker with trying the macro, though at this point my brain has adjusted to the change. It was more about the frustration of suddenly having this happen without Microsoft giving a hoot, and needing about a month to get used to the new format for no good reason. As others have said, they should quit breaking unbroken things.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Charles Kenyon 171.1K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-03-21T22:36:01+00:00

    Just to clarify, these additions are also present in Word 2021.

    Ain't life grand!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Charles Kenyon 171.1K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2023-03-21T18:58:30+00:00

    Thanks, Charles. I appreciate your help.

    Not sure what Microsoft's mechanisms are (is that an email), but I'll be happy to leave feedback with anyone at the company who actually listen and get things done.

    Note, this is not the place to get any changes made in Word nor the attention of developers at Microsoft. This is an independent user-to-user support forum. MS does not see anything you post here. The way to get their attention is through the feedback mechanisms.

    My personal preference is to use the Word Feedback Portal. If you do, please get a share link and post it here so that others seeing this thread can go there and vote and comment. While you are there, check for other posts and feel free to vote and comment on those as well!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2023-03-21T18:44:53+00:00

    Totally agree. Quit breaking my unbroken things!

    I can't even fathom why anyone would use such a tool. I wonder if they think that it is more useable on a mobile device or something.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments