How can I remove the AutoSave button on the left side of my Quick Access Toolbar in Excel (version 2110)?

Anonymous
2021-11-18T02:03:45+00:00

I do NOT AutoSave selected when I customize the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT). In File > Options > Save, I have NOT checked AutoSave One Drive and Sharepoint Online files by default on Excel.

I did not have this button yesterday. Sadly, MS decided to install an update.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Excel | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2022-02-16T23:10:17+00:00

I figured it out!

Click the Upcoming Features button near the right end of the title bar (the little horn icon) and turn off the "new experience" switch near the bottom of the Coming Soon pane. Restart Excel and Poof! The annoying autosave feature is gone.

Hope this helps!

Since it is related:

I also figure out that you can move the quick access toolbar to be part of the title bar so it looks like Excel 2016 (and so you can still have a "save as" button on the top left corner after you remove the autosave stuff):

Click the little arrow down button after the quick access icons and the last item is "show above the ribbon" - that moves your quick access icons to the title bar like in Excel 2016, which removes one of those huge new bezels MS added in Office 365.

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2022-03-15T07:08:47+00:00

    Oh yea!!! Finally someone has figured this out. Thanks a million and 1 to you cal222 for sharing this with us it worked exactly as you described. I really didn't like that sticking up in my title bar.

    An added note: Back in the early 1990's I was working late one night on an Excel spreadsheet and had been at it for hours when suddenly the electricity went out and I lost everything. There was no AutoSave feature back then so I learned to hit save frequently and even learned the CTRL + S key to save. 30 years on I'm still doing this so I don't need no stinken AutoSave but it can work for some people we just need a choice to have or have not.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2022-03-11T19:24:43+00:00

    Thanks for the response. The FIRST thing I do when opening a new edition of Word or Excel is turn autosave off. The problem is it still showed on the top line.

    Turns out I apparently set the display for their new "improved" look. Once I turned back to the older version, autosave disappeared.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2022-03-11T16:47:11+00:00

    Dear Jen;),

    Did you ever try?

    It possible to turn AutoSave off.

    The quistion is to remove it from the Quick Accesse toolbar
    (and thereby create space for useful comand buttons).

    Best regards,
    Hans

    (Wel faran)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2022-02-27T16:34:33+00:00

    I agree, but as always, send feedback via the help tab to let MS know you don't like something. I don't know how much they listen, but I know when I send feedback to Google about product changes I don't like, I often see it fixed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments