Microsoft AutoUpdate Not Working?

Anonymous
2021-03-18T10:48:49+00:00

Over the past few days, I kept receiving the notification from Word that it needs updating, however, when I go to update it, I get the message

'Update error...Updates are temporarily unavailable, please try again in a few minutes.

Shortly after, this is followed by another pop-up that states 'There was a problem with the Microsoft Update Assistant and your recent work might be lost. We apologise for the inconvenience.' 

It gives me the option to restart the update assistant, which I have done a number of times, however, I just get exactly the same problem over and over again. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-03-20T00:29:39+00:00

Did you use a tool like CleanMyMac the remove "universal Binaries"?

I had that a couple of days ago, downloading and re-install it from the Microsoft AutoUpdate Release history page: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/release-history-microsoft-autoupdate

Good luck!

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-03-25T18:59:18+00:00

    Greg,

    I can confirm that it isn't related to thinning and/or CleanMyMac!

    I have issue (again) on my Mac, where AutoUpdate is excluded from any CleanMyMac actions. And I have it right infant of me on an iMac that didn't have any tool like this installed.

    But downloading and reinstall fixed it (again) on both systems.

    My initial post about CleanMyMac was, because I had Issues with other Apps (like MacUpdater) after thinning it with CleanMyMac. And the author told me: Known issue, please exclude it from any CleanMyMac actions.

    The same workaround worked for them, so I tried it with Microsoft's AutoUpdate and it also fixed my issue. At least for a couple of days.

    Anyway: Something Microsoft needs to investigate and fix.

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-04-03T11:40:17+00:00

    Hi, 

    I tried this (downloaded the most recent version again) and it fixed the problem first attempt, so thanks for your reply.

    • Poppy

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-04-03T13:23:43+00:00

    Glad this helped 😊

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-04-05T20:48:52+00:00

    Unbelievable, but today again same issue after an autoupdate of MAU.

    So, some apps updated, but after the update of MAU, got the again the message that the server was not available.

    So, i reinstalled the MAU from MS-site, and bingo .... server found with 4 more updates (Outlook, Word, Excel and PP)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments