Microsoft AutoUpdate Not Working?

Anonymous
2021-03-18T10:48:49+00:00

Over the past few days, I kept receiving the notification from Word that it needs updating, however, when I go to update it, I get the message

'Update error...Updates are temporarily unavailable, please try again in a few minutes.

Shortly after, this is followed by another pop-up that states 'There was a problem with the Microsoft Update Assistant and your recent work might be lost. We apologise for the inconvenience.' 

It gives me the option to restart the update assistant, which I have done a number of times, however, I just get exactly the same problem over and over again. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-03-20T00:29:39+00:00

Did you use a tool like CleanMyMac the remove "universal Binaries"?

I had that a couple of days ago, downloading and re-install it from the Microsoft AutoUpdate Release history page: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/release-history-microsoft-autoupdate

Good luck!

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-05-28T10:35:25+00:00

    _GiGOO_...thank you so much. don't understand any of the commands but it works for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-05-28T05:08:16+00:00

    Thanks _GIGOO_, those terminal commands fixed it for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-05-28T04:26:50+00:00

    Worked for me as well, Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-05-28T04:10:32+00:00

    If you are seeing the Update Error (updates are temporarily unavailable) message in Microsoft AutoUpdate in Mac OS on MAU v4.35.21051700, please try executing the below commands in a terminal and check. This solution was shared by Microsoft support (Thank you Keno) and it worked for me.

    launchctl stop /Library/LaunchAgents/com.microsoft.update.agent.plist

    launchctl unload -w /Library/LaunchAgents/com.microsoft.update.agent.plist

    launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchAgents/com.microsoft.update.agent.plist

    You may see errors for some of the commands, especially the unload cmd, but thats fine.

    After executing all the commands above open Microsoft AutoUpdate and click retry. Try clicking retry a few times, if it doesn't work the first time.

    Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    80+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments