Microsoft AutoUpdate Not Working?

Anonymous
2021-03-18T10:48:49+00:00

Over the past few days, I kept receiving the notification from Word that it needs updating, however, when I go to update it, I get the message

'Update error...Updates are temporarily unavailable, please try again in a few minutes.

Shortly after, this is followed by another pop-up that states 'There was a problem with the Microsoft Update Assistant and your recent work might be lost. We apologise for the inconvenience.' 

It gives me the option to restart the update assistant, which I have done a number of times, however, I just get exactly the same problem over and over again. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-03-20T00:29:39+00:00

Did you use a tool like CleanMyMac the remove "universal Binaries"?

I had that a couple of days ago, downloading and re-install it from the Microsoft AutoUpdate Release history page: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/release-history-microsoft-autoupdate

Good luck!

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-05-29T06:24:49+00:00

    Thanks a lot! It worked for me... :P

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-05-28T13:18:18+00:00

    Worked like a charm as soon as the third command wasexecuted. Thanks a lot

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-05-28T10:35:25+00:00

    _GiGOO_...thank you so much. don't understand any of the commands but it works for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-05-28T05:08:16+00:00

    Thanks _GIGOO_, those terminal commands fixed it for me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments