Microsoft AutoUpdate Not Working?

Anonymous
2021-03-18T10:48:49+00:00

Over the past few days, I kept receiving the notification from Word that it needs updating, however, when I go to update it, I get the message

'Update error...Updates are temporarily unavailable, please try again in a few minutes.

Shortly after, this is followed by another pop-up that states 'There was a problem with the Microsoft Update Assistant and your recent work might be lost. We apologise for the inconvenience.' 

It gives me the option to restart the update assistant, which I have done a number of times, however, I just get exactly the same problem over and over again. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-03-20T00:29:39+00:00

Did you use a tool like CleanMyMac the remove "universal Binaries"?

I had that a couple of days ago, downloading and re-install it from the Microsoft AutoUpdate Release history page: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/release-history-microsoft-autoupdate

Good luck!

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-05-28T04:26:50+00:00

    Worked for me as well, Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-05-25T16:40:24+00:00

    same here,

    one more reason just to use pages, keynote etc.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-05-25T01:20:07+00:00

    Please update if you got any solution from microsoft, Josh.

    I have the similar problem, but idk how to create a support ticket.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-05-24T15:31:30+00:00

    same problem, updater not working, same results.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments