Microsoft AutoUpdate Not Working?

Anonymous
2021-03-18T10:48:49+00:00

Over the past few days, I kept receiving the notification from Word that it needs updating, however, when I go to update it, I get the message

'Update error...Updates are temporarily unavailable, please try again in a few minutes.

Shortly after, this is followed by another pop-up that states 'There was a problem with the Microsoft Update Assistant and your recent work might be lost. We apologise for the inconvenience.' 

It gives me the option to restart the update assistant, which I have done a number of times, however, I just get exactly the same problem over and over again. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-03-20T00:29:39+00:00

Did you use a tool like CleanMyMac the remove "universal Binaries"?

I had that a couple of days ago, downloading and re-install it from the Microsoft AutoUpdate Release history page: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/release-history-microsoft-autoupdate

Good luck!

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-05-16T14:23:10+00:00

    The command line reports the following:

    Checking for updates...

    XPC Connection to updater invalidated. Exiting.

    Proxy Error: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=4099 "The connection to service on pid 0 named com.microsoft.update.xpc was invalidated." UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=The connection to service on pid 0 named com.microsoft.update.xpc was invalidated.}

    And sometimes:

    Checking for updates...

    XPC Connection to updater invalidated. Exiting.

    Segmentation fault: 11

    The release history has the following:

    • Command Line Interface (CLI) now uses native xpc to communicate with Microsoft Update Assistant instead of Apple Events.

    I guess Microsoft changed the engine and that causes issues for many, but not all, users.

    I checked several Mac's and Sind I upgraded to Microsoft AutoUpdate 4.35 (21050901) none of them (all Intel) work as expected!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-05-15T09:50:41+00:00

    Same error here. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling 4.33/4.34 and the only update it shows is to 4.35 and it doesnt seem to detect any other office product for updates in the last 1 week. Also it auto updates to 4.35 even if Automatic updates are disabled.

    Please do look into this. 

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-05-14T13:16:48+00:00

    I have three Macs on 11.3.1 (one iMac plus two Macbook Pro's - one is an M1) and all three have the same problem.  Also, other people are reporting it, hence it's not an isolated incident.  I've tried running in safe mode to see if a 3rd party app might be causing it, tried changing DNS, and other workarounds.  Is it possible to even check what's causing the constant update error message - is there a log file? 

    Does anybody have a workaround to get the MS Office Updates?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-05-14T07:38:12+00:00

    I disagree - 4.35 is working fine for me on Intel running big sur 11.3.1

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments