Microsoft AutoUpdate Not Working?

Anonymous
2021-03-18T10:48:49+00:00

Over the past few days, I kept receiving the notification from Word that it needs updating, however, when I go to update it, I get the message

'Update error...Updates are temporarily unavailable, please try again in a few minutes.

Shortly after, this is followed by another pop-up that states 'There was a problem with the Microsoft Update Assistant and your recent work might be lost. We apologise for the inconvenience.' 

It gives me the option to restart the update assistant, which I have done a number of times, however, I just get exactly the same problem over and over again. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-03-20T00:29:39+00:00

Did you use a tool like CleanMyMac the remove "universal Binaries"?

I had that a couple of days ago, downloading and re-install it from the Microsoft AutoUpdate Release history page: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/release-history-microsoft-autoupdate

Good luck!

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-05-24T16:22:03+00:00

    I did open a service request for that: Case #:25801975

    If someone will open on to, it might be a great idea to reference to this thread here and to the case above.

    In the meantime all my Mac's at work seems to be effected (Intel and Apple Silicone) by this.

    For me this is a real pain, because we deploy Edge updates via AutoUpdate as well...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-05-14T00:08:48+00:00

    Fact is Microsoft AutoUpdate 4.35 (May 2021) doesn't work - even after a complete uninstall.  Doesn't matter which Mac - both M1 and Intel.  After install, all you get is the Update Error - Updates are temporarily unavailable.  So the only bad solution is to install the April AutoUpdate package but then it wants to update to the May package which of course doesn't work.  The fact is this error was happening when the May update was in beta - how did it get through testing? 

    Does somebody know a way to install the latest insider version of MS Office outside the AutoUpdate?    At least Edge can be updated through Edge.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-04-03T13:23:43+00:00

    Glad this helped 😊

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-03-18T11:26:07+00:00

    Hi poppysflowers27, hope you're doing well. I’m Ian, an Independent Advisor and Microsoft user like you.

    I'm sorry to hear about this issue.

    Please make sure you have an available disk space to that the update would continue.

    If problem persist, please do Office repair.

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/repa...

    This is a user-to-user support forum and I am a fellow user.

    I hope this helps, but please let me know if you need anything else.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments