Microsoft AutoUpdate Not Working?

Anonymous
2021-03-18T10:48:49+00:00

Over the past few days, I kept receiving the notification from Word that it needs updating, however, when I go to update it, I get the message

'Update error...Updates are temporarily unavailable, please try again in a few minutes.

Shortly after, this is followed by another pop-up that states 'There was a problem with the Microsoft Update Assistant and your recent work might be lost. We apologise for the inconvenience.' 

It gives me the option to restart the update assistant, which I have done a number of times, however, I just get exactly the same problem over and over again. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2021-03-20T00:29:39+00:00

Did you use a tool like CleanMyMac the remove "universal Binaries"?

I had that a couple of days ago, downloading and re-install it from the Microsoft AutoUpdate Release history page: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdates/release-history-microsoft-autoupdate

Good luck!

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-04-05T21:01:19+00:00

    Same here, after a couple of days: Need to reinstall it again!

    I now keep the installer on a central place (NAS) and just start it as soon as updates are missing or the the error message is displayed. Sad, but it works fine.

    Something is wrong! My first idea (a relation to cleaning tools) was wrong. It's hard to find any pattern. Many of the systems are different.

    Looks like a general issue to me! But this is something that Microsoft needs to confirm.

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-05-24T15:48:02+00:00

    Everyone with a MIcrosoft 365 subscription should open a ticket for it.

    Microsoft needs to fix that and we need to get the awareness.

    I will do that now 😉

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-04-05T20:48:52+00:00

    Unbelievable, but today again same issue after an autoupdate of MAU.

    So, some apps updated, but after the update of MAU, got the again the message that the server was not available.

    So, i reinstalled the MAU from MS-site, and bingo .... server found with 4 more updates (Outlook, Word, Excel and PP)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-03-25T11:01:50+00:00

    Hi Hans,

    interesting! I had that issue after thinking the Updater with CleanUpMac X, but Sind a couple of days more and more users that doesn't use any tooling like this report issues.

    Glad that it solved your problem! But it makes me wonder if there was something wrong with the latest update.

    Have a great day and stay safe!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments