Word now only recognizing the bold font of my Adobe Pro typefaces--Powerpoint and Excel work as expected

Anonymous
2020-08-17T03:45:00+00:00

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me with a weird thing where two of my Adobe Pro fonts stopped working properly in Word. This is occurring both on my 365 account on my home computer (iMac Pro) and my Office 2019 license (MacBook Pro 13" 2017) on my work computer. Both are running the latest Catalina (10.15.6). I only just noticed the problem in the last few days. So I don't know if it was a recent Microsoft update or what. Everything was working well before I went on vacation at the end of August [edit: I meant end of July].

The two affected typesets are Adobe Garamond Pro and Adobe Caslon Pro. Long story short, the version of Word on my 365 subscription (16.40 20081000) and my Volume License 2019 (16.40 20081000 & and on the most recent prior version of 16.39) both are acting as if I only have Adobe Garamond Pro (and Adobe Caslon Pro) bold on my system. So all my text is now bold. Word is able to see that I have regular, italic, and semibold (as it lists them as part of my fonts), but when I try to manually select regular, italic, or semibold it ignores my request and still shows only bold (with a checkmark next to it indicating that I have selected bold). No matter what I do, it only allows me to select bold for those typefaces. Other typefaces seem to work fine, though I admit I have not tested them all. 

Importantly, this problem does not occur with Powerpoint or Excel. When using those applications, the Adobe typefaces work as expected. Those applications see that I have regular, italic, and semibold and it lets me choose among them. Same when I use the Apple Pages application. Everything works as expected there.

Anywho, Adobe Garamond Pro is my go-to typeface for work, and so now I'm in a pickle. 

I'd appreciate any help you might be able to offer in tracking this problem down.

Best,

Tomas

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2020-08-27T14:36:11+00:00

I just launched Word on my work laptop and it was still exhibiting the problem even though this computer already had the new Adobe Acrobat Reader update. BUT, I then launched Acrobat and asked it to read a PDF that had Adobe Garamond Pro as the typeface. It loaded up fine in Acrobat of course. I then quit Acrobat and launched Word and Garamond Pro started working on this computer too! So MAKE SURE YOU LAUNCH ACROBAT on your computer, as RebCran indicated. I'm not sure if Garamond Pro must be in the PDF you launch, but that's what worked for me.

Tomas

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-08-17T16:08:38+00:00

    I did do that. I reverted to the previous version of Word before this last update, using Time Machine. It did not fix it. Nothing changed.

    But the loss of the fonts did happen immediately upon running the latest update. I have no doubts it was the update that did it.

    I'm thinking of trying a reversion back to the previous of my entire Office instead of just Word. But I haven't done that yet.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Jim G 134.1K Reputation points MVP
    2020-08-17T16:10:48+00:00

    Hi

    In that case, I refer you to the the update history of Office for Mac.

    Microsoft provides a full installer for only the current update of Word. 

    There is an update installer for the 16.39 version. You might try running the updater and see if that successfully reverts Word to 16.39. If it doesn't, then you'll have to do a complete removal of Office and download the full 16.39 installer and reinstall the entire suite

    Uninstall Office for Mac - Office Support

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-08-17T16:39:25+00:00

    I'm not sure the problem is 16.40 per se. My laptop had the problem while running 16.39 in the last few days (see my first email, which admittedly wasn't clear on this point). I then upgraded the laptop to 16.40 yesterday and I still had the problem. So I don't know what else could have changed. 

    Here's the time line. I took the laptop with me on vacation on July 31 and was using it for work and using Adobe Garamond Pro until about August 7 (I cannot remember the exact date). Everything worked well. I then drove home and didn't use Word with Garamond for several days (whether on my laptop or my home computer). Then when I tried using them both a few days ago, they both exhibited the problem with Adobe Garamond Pro (with 16.39 on my laptop and then 16.40 on my laptop after I updated, and 16.40 on my home computer). 

    Here's the install history on my work computer

    And here is the install history on my laptop:

    I also asked a friend to install Adobe Garamond Pro on his system this morning, through Adobe Creative Cloud, so it was a fresh install of the font. He is running 16.40. And he had the same problem. It only showed Adobe Garamond Pro in bold in Word. But it worked normally in Powerpoint, etc. 

    Best,

    Tomas

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-08-17T18:31:15+00:00

    Screenshot from my user from this thread.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments