Spacebar not working on Word/OneNote (iPad)

Anonymous
2020-05-05T23:52:09+00:00

Hello. I am using an iPad Pro with an external Magic Keyboard, and I came to notice (quite quickly) that on the Microsoft Office suite the spacebar is not working when pressed/clicked on the keyboard. So, I come to ask, is there a way to solve this? Because currently it is kind of useless to use Word/OneNote and not be able to press the spacebar and have a space between words.

I think its possible that the problem is present since the Magic Keyboard is brand new hardware and Microsoft Office Suite may not recognize it yet. And it is a big deal and problem for note taking or word processing in general.

EDIT: Spacebar works properly only when pressing Option + Spacebar, quite annoying to have to do a command just to correctly use the spacebar, seems like a bug to me.

The problem is present on an iPad Pro 2020 11” with the Apple Magic Keybard (Spanish - ISO) running iPad OS 13.4.1and the latest OneNote/Word version.

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | iOS

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-11-29T21:43:41+00:00

    OMG that worked!  Thank you thank you!!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-11-25T11:05:57+00:00

    Hello Mark,

    Thank you so much for the suggestion. That really helped!

    Regards,

    Roshan.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-11-16T00:09:48+00:00

    Hi, 

    I had the same problem and this was how I solved in my ipad. I replaced the space key used in the accessability settings with other key combinations instead. This way I think it canceled the conflict between the accessability settings with onenote. Hope this helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-10-31T16:02:18+00:00

    This resolution worked for me. I was having an issue with the spacebar with all Microsoft office apps online. I kept full Keyboard Access ON and “cleared” the space command. Thanks for the help!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-10-18T03:25:21+00:00

    Hi - I am having the same problem which seems to be widespread for all Microsoft-published apps in iOS.  You have to press “Option + Space bar” for the space to be created, which slows down typing significantly.

    There has to be a way out...when is an update going to be available for Apple’s Magic Keyboard ?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments