Powerpoint 2016 - Inking tool appears to work but doesn't Mark up

Anonymous
2020-08-24T12:51:42+00:00

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone knows what might be wrong.  When using the Inking tool in Powerpoint 2016 the teacher I'm helping can start the inking tool, pick a colour and thinkness of the writing point but there is no Markup when he tries to draw on either his tablet or mouse.

He tried:

  1. reinstalling Office 2016
  2. Makign sure all Office updates were complete
  3. Office 2010 Powerpoint works fine
  4. Google doesn't appear to have any suggestions on this one :-(

Any idears?

Thanks,

Randy

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2021-08-03T08:54:41+00:00

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-08-03T09:48:07+00:00

    I have the same problem. With the last Office update the problem continues.

    Image

    With the help of a moderator I’ve found that build 16.0.13628.20274 is not affected. Them, a temporary solution is to reverse office to that build and stop Office updates. Problem is that build 16.0.13628.20274 has others bugs.

     

    Please, if anyone has the same issue, report it to Microsoft  to see if the bug is solved. Thanks.

     

    Temporary solution:

     

        Run command line as administrator and type:

            CD C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun (enter)

            officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.13628.20274 (enter)

        Stop immediately Office auto updates.

        Reboot

    Thank you, joaoluis, for posting this temporary solution. I followed your instructions and the ink problem is resolved. As you say, this is a temporary solution as it is not possible to benefit from Office updates, but at least I can use the inking/drawing feature in PowerPoint, which I need daily in my online telehealth work!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-08-03T09:52:26+00:00

    i have the same problem. With words ,there is no problem writng. it's only with power point.

    i find it very strange that microsoft support cant help to solve it. its very disappointing as i do my teaching online.

    can anyone help,pls. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling microsoft 365 but it still doesnt work

    I recommend you try the solution suggested above by joaoluis-203. Not a permanent fix as can't take advantage of regular Office updates, but I again am able to use the ink/writing feature in PowerPoint consistently, more than a week after rolling back to the earlier build.

    Good luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-08-03T13:12:59+00:00

    Thank you, joaoluis, for posting this temporary solution.

    You're welcome, CG2021CG.

    In my case, unfortunately I can't apply this solution, because build 16.0.13628.20274 prevents Microsoft Word from editing files shared with multiple users in Microsoft Teams. This issue is fixed with later updates, but that means PowerPoint 2016 problem with digital ink comes back.

    I hope a lot of people will send feedback to Microsoft so they will be aware of this problem with PowerPoint 2016 and digital ink and fix it.

    Regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-08-04T17:55:16+00:00

    Finally, digital ink started to work in PowerPoint 2016, in edit mode, with the latest Microsoft Windows 10/Office 2016 updates.

    Problem solved!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments