Powerpoint 2016 - Inking tool appears to work but doesn't Mark up

Anonymous
2020-08-24T12:51:42+00:00

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone knows what might be wrong.  When using the Inking tool in Powerpoint 2016 the teacher I'm helping can start the inking tool, pick a colour and thinkness of the writing point but there is no Markup when he tries to draw on either his tablet or mouse.

He tried:

  1. reinstalling Office 2016
  2. Makign sure all Office updates were complete
  3. Office 2010 Powerpoint works fine
  4. Google doesn't appear to have any suggestions on this one :-(

Any idears?

Thanks,

Randy

Microsoft 365 and Office | PowerPoint | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2021-08-05T09:45:23+00:00

    I have updated the Office program and finally the ink works again.
    I lost lots of time in adjusting my presentations for the past six months, but anyway, thanks for having been aware of the problem and worked to fix it.

    I agree... Good to have ink working again but I spent hours and hours and hours across 3-4 months, trying to resolve this problem with Microsoft support... being transferred from one department to another, repeatedly told I had the wrong department, told my version of Office was not valid because it didn't show up on my Microsoft account page (finally someone said it WOULD NOT ever show up on that page because it is a Retail product, not a subscription product), being advised to reinstall everything from Windows itself to Office, even though I had reinstalled Office via Microsoft support 2x already, waiting for promised call backs that never happened, and then being called out of the blue with no appointment scheduled with voice mail left telling me to "make myself available" as they would call back in 20 minutes; and countless hours spent modifying how I managed my presentations to work around the ink problem.

    I am grateful that the problem is fixed but the path to get here was unnecessarily complex and frustrating.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2021-08-04T18:55:38+00:00

    Thank you for this Jessica! Any idea when the issue in Word will be fixed? I was hopeful they were the same issue, but inking in PowerPoint now works, and Word does not.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2021-07-09T01:45:43+00:00

    In Word, select 'ink comment' and check if pen writes in the comment box. 

    Then go to pen selection and try to ink as you'd expect.

    Mine works when i initialise it his way - seems like a bug.

    THANK YOU! This is the only thing that resolved the issue for me. I wasted an hour at work trying to figure out how to sign my Word document with my Surface Pro 6 Stylus Pen.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2021-05-17T07:08:58+00:00

    I haven't been able to trick that into working at all, same as Publisher - Excel works as it should though.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2021-02-07T08:26:13+00:00

    Hi,

    Im facing the same issue. everithing worked fine and suddently its not.

    Other office apps work fine, the problem is only with powerpoint.

    I found a temporary solution I saw in one of the comments here.

    Use the online version of PowerPoint. If you save the file under onedrive directory, you can rightclick on it and press "show online" at the OneDrive section of context-menu (Im not sure its the accurate text, im using hebrew version).

    this will open the file with PowerPoint online. use full screen mode in the browser for a better experience.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments