Word crashes when opening Citation Source Manager

Anonymous
2020-03-17T03:33:58+00:00

(Updated post)

Hi.

Anybody knows how to solve this problem?

In Word when I select, References tab, Citations, bottom right options and Citation Source Manager, word just immediately crashes and the Microsoft Error Reporting window appears. 

  • I tried removing all of Office and  reinstalling but the problem is still there.
  • Previously I've been able to use citation manager with out any problems until recently when the error started.
  • In an empty new file citation manager works fine (the list is empty)
  • I've also tried using it in some older files with citations, but Word keeps crashing.

I'm using:

macOs Catalina version 10.15.3

Microsoft Word for Mac Version 16.35 (20030802)

Any suggestions?

Thanks

The error report:

Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:

Exception: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

ExceptionEnumString: 805306368

Exception Code: 0x00000001 (0x00000001131b4000)

Date/Time: 2020-03-18 03:43:14 +0000

Application Name: Microsoft Word

Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Word

Application Signature: MSWD

Application Bitness: x64

Application Version: 16.35.0.20030802

Crashed Module Name: merp

Crashed Module Version: 16.35.0.200308

Crashed Module Offset: 0x0000000000005aa3

Blame Module Name: MSXML

Blame Module Version: 16.35.0.200308

UnsymbolicatedChecksum: 135E1661A83E6FD0B9AFE703627F81C9

Blame Module Offset: 0x00000000000e5ab1

StackHash: e71d84****ce0b85e-dm_805306368_main

Application LCID: 10**

Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0409

Build Type: Release

Crashed thread Stack Pointer: 0x_00007ffeee98f158

Crashed thread: 0

......

Operating System Information

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.15.3 (Build 19D76)

CPU: Intel x86, Logical CPU Count: 4, Frequency: 2500 MHz

Physical Memory: 16384 MB

Device_model: MacBookPro14,1

Screen: 1440.000000 x 900.000000, bitsPerPixel = 24, frame = 0.000000, 0.000000, 1440.000000, 900.000000

Screen: 1920.000000 x 1080.000000, bitsPerPixel = 24, frame = 1440.000000, 763.000000, 1920.000000, 1080.000000

CrashedApp_Virtual_Memory_Size_MB: 5472.765

CrashedApp_Resident_Memory_Size_MB: 250.5820

ErrorReportingDeviceUUID: 9C58D398-40D1-5D8D-8387-7C9****

ErrorReportingUUID: 401992B7-2E61-4329-8F97-FDDE4****

ULS UUID: 1F7C6E31-C5AE-436E-A1FA-809195E****

CrashedLogSessionId: 1F7C6E31-C5AE-436E-A1FA-809****

TimeFromLaunch: 0 hours, 10 minutes, 46 seconds

CrashedSessionDuration: 646

Total errors on this client: 95

Microsoft Application Information:

Audience: Production

Tenant_Id: 5f282910-176f-459d-ab7d-b7****

AudienceChannel: CC

AudienceGroup: Production

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-03-18T06:47:40+00:00

    Same problem. 

    Error Signature:

    Exception: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

    ExceptionEnumString: 805306368

    Exception Code: 0x00000001 (0x00000001157f6000)

    Date/Time: 2020-03-18 06:45:48 +0000

    Application Name: Microsoft Word

    Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Word

    Application Signature: MSWD

    Application Bitness: x64

    Application Version: 16.35.0.20030802

    Crashed Module Name: merp

    Crashed Module Version: 16.35.0.200308

    Crashed Module Offset: 0x0000000000005aa3

    Blame Module Name: MSXML

    Blame Module Version: 16.35.0.200308

    UnsymbolicatedChecksum: 135E1661A83E6FD0B9AFE703627F81C9

    Blame Module Offset: 0x00000000000e5ab1

    StackHash: e71d84***b85e-dm_805306368_main

    Application LCID: 20**

    Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0809

    Build Type: Release

    Crashed thread Stack Pointer: 0x_00007ffeed7a9148

    Crashed thread: 0

    Operating System Information

    Operating System: Mac OS X 10.15.3 (Build 19D76)

    CPU: Intel x86, Logical CPU Count: 8, Frequency: 1400 MHz

    Physical Memory: 8192 MB

    Device_model: MacBookPro15,4

    Screen: 1680.000000 x 1050.000000, bitsPerPixel = 24, frame = 0.000000, 0.000000, 1680.000000, 1050.000000

    Screen: 1920.000000 x 1080.000000, bitsPerPixel = 24, frame = -94.000000, 1050.000000, 1920.000000, 1080.000000

    CrashedApp_Virtual_Memory_Size_MB: 5387.750

    CrashedApp_Resident_Memory_Size_MB: 222.2656

    ErrorReportingDeviceUUID: 9F966FFA-F167-5134-92C9-A3720C***

    ErrorReportingUUID: EBED8E24-385C-4A30-A286-D337A****

    ULS UUID: EF4DF743-0397-4C57-88C1-3C963***

    CrashedLogSessionId: EF4DF743-0397-4C57-88C1-3C963080D703

    TimeFromLaunch: 0 hours, 3 minutes, 27 seconds

    CrashedSessionDuration: 207

    Total errors on this client: 26

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Bob Jones AKA CyberTaz MVP 437.7K Reputation points
    2020-03-19T14:00:56+00:00

    I'm using 16.35 myself but on Mojave. I have not been able to reproduce the issue nor have I seen any similar reports., which suggests that it is caused by something local to your Mac. Mpreover, the fact that it doesn't occur in new documents further indicates that it is document-specific.

    • What version of which program was used to create/edit the problem documents?
    • Was any sort of custom reference/citation style used in those documents?
    • Have you worked with these documents in Mac Word previously? If so, which version?
    • Has any sort of 3rd party Add-in or citation manager been used?
    • What else can you provide regarding the history of the problem documents?

    If you have a problem document which contains no confidential/proprietary information feel free to share a copy on a cloud [such as OneDrive] & provide a link in your reply. Perhaps I can tell more if I have a first-hand look.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-03-20T19:15:49+00:00

    Hi Raymundo,

    Please try Bob's suggestions to troubleshoot since the problem happens to some specific files, and we will follow up this thread for you.

    Best regards,

    Oliver

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-03-26T21:20:01+00:00

    Hello,

    I have exactly the same problem.

    • What version of which program was used to create/edit the problem documents?

    All documents with bibliographic entries originate the same problem. Tried with several.

    • Was any sort of custom reference/citation style used in those documents?

    No

    • Have you worked with these documents in Mac Word previously? If so, which version)?

    Depending on the document, 10.11, 10.11, 10.12, also in windows.

    • Has any sort of 3rd party Add-in or citation manager been used?
    • No
    • What else can you provide regarding the history of the problem documents?

    They open fine in other computers.

    I made a clean install of my system today, erased HD reinstalled 10.13 and office 365.

    I thank you in advance.

    Pedro

    Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

    Error Signature:

    Exception: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

    ExceptionEnumString: 805306368

    Exception Code: 0x00000001 (0x00007fffa429e168)

    Date/Time: 2020-03-26 21:12:24 +0000

    Application Name: Microsoft Word

    Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Word

    Application Signature: MSWD

    Application Bitness: x64

    Application Version: 16.35.0.20030802

    Crashed Module Name: merp

    Crashed Module Version: 16.35.0.200308

    Crashed Module Offset: 0x0000000000005aa3

    Blame Module Name: MSXML

    Blame Module Version: 16.35.0.200308

    UnsymbolicatedChecksum: 1DF6E151B1F502AC0D29958AB13C65C7

    Blame Module Offset: 0x00000000000e5ab1

    StackHash: 79ff99d13e0f76d2-dm_805306368_main

    Application LCID: 2057

    Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0809

    Build Type: Release

    Crashed thread Stack Pointer: 0x_00007ffeea82c168

    Crashed thread: 0

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-03-27T12:03:23+00:00

    Hi Bob,

    I am ecnountering the same problem whenever I open the citation source manager... I followed the support agent's advice and moved the com.microsoft folder to my desktop. I can now open the citation source manager on a new file, but all my existing citation have been removed :(... Also, I still cannot open the citation source manager on the "old" file (only created about a month or two ago). I remember trying to import some custom referencing styles but I cannot recall where the folder I tinkered with is located. I suspect this is the reason the crash started in the first place. Any help?

    MacOS Mojave version 10.14.6

    Word Version 16.35

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments