Word crashes when opening Citation Source Manager

Anonymous
2020-03-17T03:33:58+00:00

(Updated post)

Hi.

Anybody knows how to solve this problem?

In Word when I select, References tab, Citations, bottom right options and Citation Source Manager, word just immediately crashes and the Microsoft Error Reporting window appears. 

  • I tried removing all of Office and  reinstalling but the problem is still there.
  • Previously I've been able to use citation manager with out any problems until recently when the error started.
  • In an empty new file citation manager works fine (the list is empty)
  • I've also tried using it in some older files with citations, but Word keeps crashing.

I'm using:

macOs Catalina version 10.15.3

Microsoft Word for Mac Version 16.35 (20030802)

Any suggestions?

Thanks

The error report:

Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:

Exception: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

ExceptionEnumString: 805306368

Exception Code: 0x00000001 (0x00000001131b4000)

Date/Time: 2020-03-18 03:43:14 +0000

Application Name: Microsoft Word

Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Word

Application Signature: MSWD

Application Bitness: x64

Application Version: 16.35.0.20030802

Crashed Module Name: merp

Crashed Module Version: 16.35.0.200308

Crashed Module Offset: 0x0000000000005aa3

Blame Module Name: MSXML

Blame Module Version: 16.35.0.200308

UnsymbolicatedChecksum: 135E1661A83E6FD0B9AFE703627F81C9

Blame Module Offset: 0x00000000000e5ab1

StackHash: e71d84****ce0b85e-dm_805306368_main

Application LCID: 10**

Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0409

Build Type: Release

Crashed thread Stack Pointer: 0x_00007ffeee98f158

Crashed thread: 0

......

Operating System Information

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.15.3 (Build 19D76)

CPU: Intel x86, Logical CPU Count: 4, Frequency: 2500 MHz

Physical Memory: 16384 MB

Device_model: MacBookPro14,1

Screen: 1440.000000 x 900.000000, bitsPerPixel = 24, frame = 0.000000, 0.000000, 1440.000000, 900.000000

Screen: 1920.000000 x 1080.000000, bitsPerPixel = 24, frame = 1440.000000, 763.000000, 1920.000000, 1080.000000

CrashedApp_Virtual_Memory_Size_MB: 5472.765

CrashedApp_Resident_Memory_Size_MB: 250.5820

ErrorReportingDeviceUUID: 9C58D398-40D1-5D8D-8387-7C9****

ErrorReportingUUID: 401992B7-2E61-4329-8F97-FDDE4****

ULS UUID: 1F7C6E31-C5AE-436E-A1FA-809195E****

CrashedLogSessionId: 1F7C6E31-C5AE-436E-A1FA-809****

TimeFromLaunch: 0 hours, 10 minutes, 46 seconds

CrashedSessionDuration: 646

Total errors on this client: 95

Microsoft Application Information:

Audience: Production

Tenant_Id: 5f282910-176f-459d-ab7d-b7****

AudienceChannel: CC

AudienceGroup: Production

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2020-04-10T11:16:33+00:00

    Has anyone had any luck on making this problem go away? I also have a final revision of my dissertation that I need to do... and it would be good to have this function working again!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-04-08T13:12:20+00:00

    Good morning all, 

    I am experiencing the same issue I am about to do extensive adjustments to a long term project and am eagerly awaiting your response towards a solution.

    Kind regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-04-07T10:19:00+00:00

    Any updates from MS.

    Following the instructions:

    1. The problem may also be related to the settings after you installed Office for Mac, so you can try to remove these files below.
    1. Close Word, open Finder.
    2. Press Command + Shift + G, input “~/Library/Containers”, remove com.microsoft.Word to desktop.
    3. Press Command + Shift + G, input “~/Library/Preferences”, remove com.microsoft.office.plist to desktop.
    4. Open Word, and check the result.

    I can open the Citation Source Manager properly, but I can not add new citation, new item is not added into left panel (Master list) and when I add Bibliography functions, citations list can be sorted ASE as APA standard.

    I already upgraded new version 16.37, but the issue still exists.

    Need help urgently.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-04-06T10:43:52+00:00

    I don't have the problem anymore, but that is because I deleted the programs and installed it again, which resulted in the fact that I lost all of my sources so now I don't need to use the program anymore and work with the extension Mendeley, which I highly recommend because it works way better that the source manager from word.

    So yeah, deleting office and reinstalling it works but it will mean that you will lose all of your sources. In my case there were over 200.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-04-06T10:08:23+00:00

    Các bạn vẫn có vấn đề?

    Tôi thật sự không biết phải làm gì!

    Tôi không đánh máy được ở bản copy từ face boo tới bản word của tôi ,tôi không biết phải làm  gì? Hãy trợ giúp cho tôi

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments