Word crashes when opening Citation Source Manager

Anonymous
2020-03-17T03:33:58+00:00

(Updated post)

Hi.

Anybody knows how to solve this problem?

In Word when I select, References tab, Citations, bottom right options and Citation Source Manager, word just immediately crashes and the Microsoft Error Reporting window appears. 

  • I tried removing all of Office and  reinstalling but the problem is still there.
  • Previously I've been able to use citation manager with out any problems until recently when the error started.
  • In an empty new file citation manager works fine (the list is empty)
  • I've also tried using it in some older files with citations, but Word keeps crashing.

I'm using:

macOs Catalina version 10.15.3

Microsoft Word for Mac Version 16.35 (20030802)

Any suggestions?

Thanks

The error report:

Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:

Exception: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

ExceptionEnumString: 805306368

Exception Code: 0x00000001 (0x00000001131b4000)

Date/Time: 2020-03-18 03:43:14 +0000

Application Name: Microsoft Word

Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Word

Application Signature: MSWD

Application Bitness: x64

Application Version: 16.35.0.20030802

Crashed Module Name: merp

Crashed Module Version: 16.35.0.200308

Crashed Module Offset: 0x0000000000005aa3

Blame Module Name: MSXML

Blame Module Version: 16.35.0.200308

UnsymbolicatedChecksum: 135E1661A83E6FD0B9AFE703627F81C9

Blame Module Offset: 0x00000000000e5ab1

StackHash: e71d84****ce0b85e-dm_805306368_main

Application LCID: 10**

Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0409

Build Type: Release

Crashed thread Stack Pointer: 0x_00007ffeee98f158

Crashed thread: 0

......

Operating System Information

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.15.3 (Build 19D76)

CPU: Intel x86, Logical CPU Count: 4, Frequency: 2500 MHz

Physical Memory: 16384 MB

Device_model: MacBookPro14,1

Screen: 1440.000000 x 900.000000, bitsPerPixel = 24, frame = 0.000000, 0.000000, 1440.000000, 900.000000

Screen: 1920.000000 x 1080.000000, bitsPerPixel = 24, frame = 1440.000000, 763.000000, 1920.000000, 1080.000000

CrashedApp_Virtual_Memory_Size_MB: 5472.765

CrashedApp_Resident_Memory_Size_MB: 250.5820

ErrorReportingDeviceUUID: 9C58D398-40D1-5D8D-8387-7C9****

ErrorReportingUUID: 401992B7-2E61-4329-8F97-FDDE4****

ULS UUID: 1F7C6E31-C5AE-436E-A1FA-809195E****

CrashedLogSessionId: 1F7C6E31-C5AE-436E-A1FA-809****

TimeFromLaunch: 0 hours, 10 minutes, 46 seconds

CrashedSessionDuration: 646

Total errors on this client: 95

Microsoft Application Information:

Audience: Production

Tenant_Id: 5f282910-176f-459d-ab7d-b7****

AudienceChannel: CC

AudienceGroup: Production

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

43 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2020-04-23T08:20:20+00:00

    I am working on a project for half a year using Mac. What helped for me to solve the bibliography issue is to open my project on a Windows device, insert a correct bibliography and then send it back to my Mac. 

    I do this at the end of every workday and although it is not how it should go it works for now.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2020-04-22T21:01:20+00:00

    I'm having the very same issue. I use that tool in a daily basis. It's really appalling that none of your suggestions work. It's been a while since the first client reported the bug. I can't believe you guys haven't had time to deal with it yet!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2020-04-16T12:43:15+00:00

    I also have, unfortunately, the same problems with Word while writing my thesis.

    By opening the Citations Source Manager the application closes and the bibliography is not alphabetized which can not be solved by using the A-Z button.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2020-04-15T10:18:00+00:00

    I have also had some of these problems - non-alphabetized bibliography, for example, and impossibility to reorder it.

    Glad to find that there are other people with this problem, I'm going to delete office from my laptop now and re-install it but I do want to share some additional information already, because I'm wondering if there are more people who experienced this:

    I also noticed that the bibliography system didn't function as it used to. Before I installed the latest update on my mac, I was able to open the citation manager but all of the references weren't in alphabetical order anymore, which made searching quite hard. Also, when I would import my bibliography it would not automatically be alphabetized (which it used to do before) and when I wanted to convert the bibliography to static text it wasn't possible, which caused a huge workaround and I also now installed another citation manager due to this problem. Which led me to this problem, because I want to export over 200 citations from word to Mendeley but now the citation manager crashes every time I want to do this. 

    • What version of which program was used to create/edit the problem documents?

            Word 16.35 (200030802)

    • Was any sort of custom reference/citation style used in those documents?

             No, completely empty documents

    • Have you worked with these documents in Mac Word previously? If so, which version?

            No, new documents but I worked with references in word since oktober 2018 without any problems

    • Has any sort of 3rd party Add-in or citation manager been used?

             Yes, but only since yesterday (Mendeley)

    • What else can you provide regarding the history of the problem documents?

          See notes I made before. I don't think it is document specific, but that is has to do with the Mac / word combnination

    Here are the log files excerpts:

    Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

    Error Signature:

    Exception: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

    ExceptionEnumString: 805306368

    Exception Code: 0x00000001 (0x0000000144143000)

    Date/Time: 2020-04-02 14:08:53 +0000

    Application Name: Microsoft Word

    Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Word

    Application Signature: MSWD

    Application Bitness: x64

    Application Version: 16.35.0.20030802

    Crashed Module Name: merp

    Crashed Module Version: 16.35.0.200308

    Crashed Module Offset: 0x0000000000005aa3

    Blame Module Name: MSXML

    Blame Module Version: 16.35.0.200308

    UnsymbolicatedChecksum: 135E1661A83E6FD0B9AFE703627F81C9

    Blame Module Offset: 0x00000000000e5ab1

    StackHash: e71d84888ce0b85e-dm_805306368_main

    Application LCID: xx57

    Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0809

    Build Type: Release

    Crashed thread Stack Pointer: 0x_00007ffee3749188

    Crashed thread: 0

    macOS Catalina

    Version 10.15.4

    Macbook Pro (13 inch, Mid 2012)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2020-04-15T09:04:02+00:00

    The problem still persists! This morning there was the latest Word Update: 16.36.20041300 and the issue is still the same.

    Can Microsoft please do something about it!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments