The resource DLL can not be loaded

Anonymous
2019-03-07T22:02:39+00:00

Every time I try opening Microsoft Word, it gives me the error "The resource DLL can not be loaded". I called Microsoft customer service and all they told me was that they can only help if I bought the microsoft office product, but I spent over a $1000 on this Microsoft surface pro. But anyway, Is there any way to fix this without uninstalling it?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-03-09T18:13:01+00:00

Every time I try opening Microsoft Word, it gives me the error "The resource DLL can not be loaded". I called Microsoft customer service and all they told me was that they can only help if I bought the microsoft office product, but I spent over a 1000 dollars on this Microsoft surface pro. But anyway, Is there any way to fix this without uninstalling it?

I fixed my issue.

  1. Windows Key + R.
  2. Type "winword /safe".
  3. Press Enter.
  4. Check and make sure no error dialog appears.
  5. Go to File > Options > Add-In.
  6. At the very bottom of the settings page, there's a dropdown menu. Select "COM Add-ins".
  7. Press Go... button.
  8. Find any Add-ins that were enabled, and untick the checkmarks next to them.
  9. Press OK.
  10. Close Word 2016.
  11. Reopen Word 2016 normally.
  12. Verify if the error popup did not show up.

And that's it for me. This is the COM Add-in that showed the error upon startup. It's in Japanese. The highlighted COM Add-in is the only one that was enabled before I disable it to fix my issue.

Many thanks to Jake A. from Microsoft Help Online Support Chat for resolving this issue.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-03-12T21:31:53+00:00

    Soo... Microsoft's Integrity level is through the basement?

    Yes, MS, we KNOW you are a business and that means paying attention to the bottom line. But, think of this... if you improve your cred with your customers, you improve customer loyalty. That means you improve your bottom line. And... it seems terribly odd that so many people are having the same problem with their MSWord. That suggests that there is a problem on YOUR part and you need to do something about it or you will be losing LOTS of customers.

    Be loyal to your customers and they will be loyal to you. Treat your customers with disrespect and... Well, let's just say you really are not the only game in town!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-03-12T00:00:59+00:00

    Thank you! 

    Was having this same issue for a whole week and finally found this solution. 

    No more annoying pop-up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-03-11T13:28:34+00:00

    This also helps to solve the same issue in word Home&Business 2019, many thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2019-03-11T11:54:35+00:00

    I had the same issue, after disabling all the unused add-ins, the error went away.

    1. Open Word
    2. Goto Options
    3. Click on  "Add-ins"
    4. Select "COM Add-ins" at the bottom of the dialog and click "Go...". 
    5. Disable all the Add-ins you don't recognize
    6. Repeat the same thing for Actions and etc.

    Restart Word, the error is gone!

    Good Luck!

    Can not follow your instructions because I can NOT open MS Word!! Small screen with " MSWord Resource DLL can not be loaded!" shows up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments