The resource DLL can not be loaded

Anonymous
2019-03-07T22:02:39+00:00

Every time I try opening Microsoft Word, it gives me the error "The resource DLL can not be loaded". I called Microsoft customer service and all they told me was that they can only help if I bought the microsoft office product, but I spent over a $1000 on this Microsoft surface pro. But anyway, Is there any way to fix this without uninstalling it?

Microsoft 365 and Office | Word | For home | Windows

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2019-03-09T18:13:01+00:00

Every time I try opening Microsoft Word, it gives me the error "The resource DLL can not be loaded". I called Microsoft customer service and all they told me was that they can only help if I bought the microsoft office product, but I spent over a 1000 dollars on this Microsoft surface pro. But anyway, Is there any way to fix this without uninstalling it?

I fixed my issue.

  1. Windows Key + R.
  2. Type "winword /safe".
  3. Press Enter.
  4. Check and make sure no error dialog appears.
  5. Go to File > Options > Add-In.
  6. At the very bottom of the settings page, there's a dropdown menu. Select "COM Add-ins".
  7. Press Go... button.
  8. Find any Add-ins that were enabled, and untick the checkmarks next to them.
  9. Press OK.
  10. Close Word 2016.
  11. Reopen Word 2016 normally.
  12. Verify if the error popup did not show up.

And that's it for me. This is the COM Add-in that showed the error upon startup. It's in Japanese. The highlighted COM Add-in is the only one that was enabled before I disable it to fix my issue.

Many thanks to Jake A. from Microsoft Help Online Support Chat for resolving this issue.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2019-03-19T14:59:23+00:00

    This doesn't work for office365, but thanks a lot.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2019-03-17T18:37:42+00:00

    WOW, how did you guys find out about this.

    Even Microsoft Customer Service did not give me any tangible solutions.

    (Even prompting to buy Office 2019 if you know what I am talking about)

    Thank you guys so much!

    This was helped by Microsoft Customer Service themselves. I did not find the solution by myself.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2019-03-14T00:58:50+00:00

    many thanks 

    my problem is solved

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Suzanne S Barnhill 279.5K Reputation points MVP Volunteer Moderator
    2019-03-13T02:36:33+00:00

    You're not addressing Microsoft here. This is a peer support group, and we're all just volunteers trying to help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments